Studying an option by myself

Gaby

So, basically, the situation is that my teacher is on maternity leave, our substitute is our TOK teacher who theoretically speaking is a sport psychologist so they decided with our teacher that she'll teach us this option instead of Abnormal which was done in previous years. Apart from that, we're doing human relationships. Apart from the fact that I'm not really satisfied with the teacher, I really don't get sports psychology. Like, really don't get. I can do human relationships all right, but sports psychology is like larning quantum physics to me.

So, my question is - do you guys think it is possible to self-learn an option (Abnormal), possibly getting some notes from previous years? On one hand, I'm worried it won't work out and I'll mess up my exam, on the other, I'm bound to mess it up anyway with sports... I'm kinda torn now and have no idea what to do. :/

Advice, pretty please...

Most students are timid about self-studying options. Understandably you think that if your teacher doesn't give you the knowledge then somehow the quality of teacher given knowledge will be less than the knowledge you acquire on your own. I don't think this is necessarily the case. If you have the discipline and determination to study the option on your own then go for it. They are all in the book and you can supplement the studies from the course companion (if that's what you use) with the studies from the pearson book. If you then study the material the way you would for any other area of the psych syllabus then you should be just fine. In fact, you may know that stuff even better simply because you put more effort into knowing it inside and out because it was given to you by your teacher (I experienced this first hand with many of my subjects because my teachers were unfamiliar with IB.)

• Like 1

Well, I'm currently doing Abnormal psychology and it seems quite easy. And even though we're doing it at school, I basically have to learn a lot from the whole psychology course on my own cause my teacher has a bit strange approach to the syllabus.. anyway, if you are doing well in psychology I think you may be able to learn this option.

Although it just came to my mind: I heard sth about sql getting questions for chosen options only.. That involved maths HL but it'd be good to check that maybe.

And after all you can listen during lessons etc. and than on the exam you can simply have more choices.

I say you can do it :) Abnormal Psychology isn't really tough and is easy to understand. I would suggest that you use the Psychology study guide also, it's amazingly helpful. Knowing you, I think you'll do just fine :) Like blindpet said, as long as you have the determination and discipline, you'll be able to!

Exactly, if you put your mind to it you can do it. And by the sound of it, you've already tried your best with Sports Psychology, so I don't see there being any risk with changing option if you genuinely don't understand it. Just take time into consideration. Honestly speaking, I don't find Abnormal too difficult, and if you want me to I can give you the name of the topics/studies I am using for my Abnormal topic. I need to compile my notes anyway :)

I'm not sure how the psychology papers work, but would you have to inform your school of the change in option? Or can you choose yourself which option you do on the day of the exam? Just taking into account that you might have to discuss this issue with your school.