Appendices - is it mandatory to include one?

Abidicus

In the EE student guide it suggested not to add foot notes and appendices as the people who mark the essays are not required to read these. This would prove problematic if you have important ideas in foot notes/ appendices and the person marking doesn't read them... All in all I would avoid them (especially for history).

• 1 month later...

In the EE student guide it suggested not to add foot notes and appendices as the people who mark the essays are not required to read these. This would prove problematic if you have important ideas in foot notes/ appendices and the person marking doesn't read them... All in all I would avoid them (especially for history).

Where does it say in the guide that you should avoid them? You can't write a research paper with no footnotes, there shouldn't be TOO MANY of them, but you can't (and shouldn't!) avoid them. I had to decrease the number of mine, but all in all, they're an important part of your EE and, if I remember correctly, there are some marks awarded for referencing.

And no, I do not believe that adding appendices is mandatory. I didn't have any, and neither did most of my classmates, and my teacher didn't believe it was necessary to have them, and he's been teaching the IB for years. And my EE was a History one, as you can see in my signature. ;)

I'm doing a history EE and my teacher told me to put my poster pictures into an appendix... sO?? what am I supposed to do?

That's fine. I don't know where else you would put it, to be honest. What the point is is that you shouldn't put super important analysis or figures in an appendix as a way to cut down words because like stated above, examiners don't have to read appendices. And if you have an argument in your appendix rather than your body, and your examiner doesn't read the appendix, then you won't score as well. A poster is fine to put in the appendix.