Calculating wavelengths/energy change

ananya.agrawal95

Hey,

We've done chapters 1,2,3 and 4 (along with the AHL bits) from the syllabus.

We did the equation E=hf during chapter 2, but I can't find it anywhere in the syllabus, even for the AHL part. However, it is there in the textbook, though there aren't any calculations.

I was just wondering if this is there in the sullabus and if i've managed to miss on it somehow :o

Even if the textbook included a discussion on wavelength/energy calculations, these topics are not on the syllabus for HL chemistry. It's good to know, but you will not be tested on it during the exam since it is not in the syllabus. I think the most that you have to know related to that is about electron transitions and the types of series, as well as being able to draw one for hydrogen (and include the Lyman, Palmer, Baschen series), but not actually doing calculations with it.

• Like 1

Yeah, so I asked her and she said that while its not there in the portion anymore (it was there earlier apparently), there's a chance they may ask it, so might as well learn it.

However, last year in physics when the teacher put a concept from the old syllabus in the IGCSE mocks, we got free marks for that question. I just hope we can do the same here by telling her the syllabus strictly says no calculations needed :D

It is on the syllabus! That equation (and the first equation on that page as well, the one that goes log I/I=elc) are both part of Option A - Modern Analytical Chemistry. I think they introduce it in Chapter 2 just in case you take the option.

It is on the syllabus! That equation (and the first equation on that page as well, the one that goes log I/I=elc) are both part of Option A - Modern Analytical Chemistry. I think they introduce it in Chapter 2 just in case you take the option.

Cool thanks a lot :) I did assume it would've been in one of the options, but had no clue which one too check in :S