Chemistry: HL or SL ?

chrisv

Hello I'm in IB1 and I have want make my standard level chemistry higher. I already have 3 high levels (physics, math, english B) but I don't think universities in the us/uk value this subject very much and I thought I'd take chemistry HL to compensate for that. My 1st term score was 38/42 and I want to raise it or at least keep it the same. Is that possible if I take HL chemistry?

Sure, it'd be possible to keep/raise your 38/42 score, but it would require work and effort, especially as it sounds like you are going to take Chemistry HL as a 4th HL. Be warned, there is a big jump from SL to HL; from very early on, HL differentiates itself by its more advanced content (2.8.8 is a lie!) and consequently affects the later topics.

And how the US/UK universities value Chemistry SL depends on what you are applying for. If you are applying for engineering etc., chemistry HL is needed, but if you aren't going into any sort of chemical field, than Chemistry SL is perfectly acceptable.

Don't forget that the work in IB2 picks up, especially with the numerous deadlines and pressures, so take that into account when you decide to switch/not switch to HL chem.

UK universities don't pay much attention to your SL subjects. So it doesn't really matter what's there. Nor do they care about you having 4 HLs. It does nothing to your application.

And how the US/UK universities value Chemistry SL depends on what you are applying for. If you are applying for engineering etc., chemistry HL is needed, but if you aren't going into any sort of chemical field, than Chemistry SL is perfectly acceptable.

Chemistry HL isn't needed for all types of engineering in UK universities. In fact, I think most require you to choose between chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering.

• 3 weeks later...