What counts as CAS?

Lizward

So my friends and I are arguing over this, and I need the advice of the internet: Can I count going to concerts for action hours? In my opinion yes because it is a LOT of physical activity, but I'm not sure if it counts. Otherwise, can I count it for creativity in some way?

Also, I'm teaching myself some American Sign Language. Could that possibly be creativity?

Hahaha, going to concerts doesn't count neither for action nor creativity. For creativity something like actually playing in a concert or participating in a play/musical could count. Also any kind of conference, for example I do MUN, also Model Harvard Conference etc. If you like to draw at home or have some art lesson or something, that could also count. If you play an instrument you can get tons of hours, or if you teach someone an instrument. For action it will be any sort of sport or exercise.

Hope it helped (:

Also, I'm teaching myself some American Sign Language. Could that possibly be creativity?

Learning a language (as long as it is not one of your IB language subjects) generally counts as creativity. However, if you're teaching yourself American Sign Language you might not be able to count the hours as you (presumably) don't have a supervisor for the CAS activity -- you'll have to check with your IB CAS Coordinator.

• 1 month later...

Action: Any type of action including dance, biking, jogging, skiing, football etc As long as it is sensible unlike going out with friends....

Creativity: Any kind of learning even if it is dance classes or learning an instrument, language etc

Service: Helping voluntarily in your own free time when you could do something else.

Edited by shad0wboss

• 1 month later...

Would a triathlon count as CAS.? Could somebody explain the service and creativity part in more depth?

yes a triathlon would be a great activity for action you can use the coaches as supervisors

SERVICE: anything where your helping someone or something; it could be picking up trash at the beach, spending time with orphans or visiting a retirement home.You could also do something having to do with the environment or animal rights. for example I made a poster about the environment, hung it on my back and rode my bike on the road that's to birds with one stone (both service and action)

CREATIVITY: this would be anything creative most school clubs count such as yearbook, cooking,writing, panting... MUN (model united nations) is also creativity, you can open a school newspaper or take part if you already have one. Also photographing counts if open a display at you school. Practically anything which you use your creativity.

hope that was helpful. ;)

Edited by Gaby
Merged two posts :)

• 1 year later...