Staying Awake

AnnandaleIBboy

No not really. I agree with Arrowhead. You need to organise yourself better and work more efficiently. If you're consistently losing sleep then you're doing something wrong.

Try reading this thread and see if it helps.

If you keep yourself organised and your work ethic is strong, you will never be deprived of sleep. I got through the IB with a minimum of 8 hours of sleep every night.

I dont think you understand. I am VERY organized. But the real question is were you an athlete in IB? I play a sport every season varsity and it consumes much of my time. I did the math and during the spring, I spend more time on the field than actually in school. So any ideas based on that?

• Like 1

No not really. I agree with Arrowhead. You need to organise yourself better and work more efficiently. If you're consistently losing sleep then you're doing something wrong.

Try reading this thread and see if it helps.

If you keep yourself organised and your work ethic is strong, you will never be deprived of sleep. I got through the IB with a minimum of 8 hours of sleep every night.

I dont think you understand. I am VERY organized. But the real question is were you an athlete in IB? I play a sport every season varsity and it consumes much of my time. I did the math and during the spring, I spend more time on the field than actually in school. So any ideas based on that?

Well, if I understood you right, my answer to you would be to prioritize. If you're aleady organized then I would probably cut down on sport and focus on school (even though that it might be difficult). IB is time consuming, there is no arguing :P

No, I understood your post. You just made no mention of that in your original post. Or if you did, I'm blind.

Your problem here is, as you've probably noticed, is that you're doing too much. Now, you've said that you do a lot of sport. Why not cut down on your commitments? Over stretching yourself will result in problems in both the sport and academic side of your life. You probably want to make the IB your priority right now and you can't be losing ridiculous amounts of sleep otherwise you won't be able to perform on the field or your work.

However, if all that seems silly to you, adopt a new sleep cycle or something.

• Like 2

I do know people who did the IB and also competed in a very high level of sport with pre-school training, after school training, weekend training...

To do this you must be a ruthlessly efficient machine. Some of the people I knew were just that - free time was spent in the library, they didn't procrastinate, they did their work immediately, they were pretty intelligent so none of the work ever took them that long etc. and whilst I was stressed out with my work, they seemed less stressed but doing ten times more other activities than me. They just didn't seem to need any downtime. Or the alternative is to cut down on how much you're doing to create a balance that is manageable for you. If you can't optimise your current work ethic further in order to maintain both at the same time, you're probably an efficient machine but not a RUTHLESSLY efficient machine (required :P). At the end of the day, we all have our limits. Once you've figured out where yours is, it's about making smart decisions that'll help you push the limits but not stray out of them for both your sport and your academic commitments.

Assuming you spend roughly 7-8 hours a day at school, it's somewhat shocking to me that you can spend that long again if not more doing a sport! Pretty sure you'd be an injured mess if you trained that hard, even accounting for weekends. If you really are spending that long doing sport then you should probably cut down on the hours somewhat anyway because you can do yourself damage overtraining that much.

You could also speak to your teachers about how much homework you're getting. How many hours roughly do you spend on it a night? And does it help you? I mean it IS possible you're being given way too much stuff to do. I only ever had homework maybe 3 or 4 nights a week, and then it was usually do-able within 30mins-1hr. Or I just didn't do it. I mean you might reasonably be expected to do more than that, but if you're doing 2+hours a night routinely on top of a 7 hour school day, that's a lot :blink:

On average, I do about 4-5 hours of homework per night. I'm involved in 8 extra curricular activities, and it can get pretty busy (apparently I have a good work ethic, even though I get everything done I feel like I could have been more efficient). The only time when I go to sleep at 11 or 12 is when I procrastinate (or have left another assignment from another day slide). What I'm trying to say distilled is if I go to bed late, it is my fault, no questions asked.

I find that if I get around eight hours of sleep (compared to four on most nights) I retain the information that I hear in class a lot better, and it allows me to get my homework finished faster because I know how to do the questions (rather than ruthlessly searching through the textbook).

I know a lot of people who play sports and are in IB and they are doing very well. At this moment I'm not involved in a sport, so I can't tell you how it effects me.

Edited by alexwhy

People spend ridiculous amounts on homework. It does pay off but still, can't they organize their time more efficiently?

Also, I don't get how these people can stay awake during class after so little sleep... I mean, I get plenty of sleep but I'm constantly on the verge shutting my eyes and saying goodbye to class...

First of all i'll say that i felt the same thing and i used to curse all of my teachers for doing that when they gave so much HW and then smiled back at me...$@*!'"

But then i saw that people in my classes were getting 7s, they did work quite hard but the only thing which was different was the organization aspect. I have my final mocks after Christmas break, i have gotten bad grades overall and now i'm realizing that i could have done better by organizing...

So keep that in mind

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, you can't blame the system for not letting you get enough sleep when you do an obscene amount of sport XD. As a suggestion though, sleeping earlier and waking up earlier to finish homework in the mornings has always somehow worked better for me in terms of my ability to function throughout the day. I think this would help you as you would feel more energized and awake throughout the day, andwill be able to retain information llearned in class more readily. Just my two cents :)

As a suggestion though, sleeping earlier and waking up earlier to finish homework in the mornings has always somehow worked better for me in terms of my ability to function throughout the day. I think this would help you as you would feel more energized and awake throughout the day, andwill be able to retain information llearned in class more readily. Just my two cents :)

Remember it might not work for everyone. I'm a complete owl, if I try to wake up earlier to do work in the morning, I'm just sleepy and useless, I won't do anything substantial, whereas I can quite comfortably work till 2.30 am (if I started early, I can pull it off quite easily) with just some tea and snacks. I'd be a happy person if school started around 10 every day. lol