Physics - nothing beyond the textbook :/

kuc

Hey nerds :)

I'm doing physics sl since September and I'm starting to get a bit worried about my teacher's methods. He does not do anything that is not included in the textbook (the Tsokos one). This means, we do not get any additional examples nor exercises. In fact, the whole lesson is about translating what's written in the book and/or doing homework in class (ridiculous!).

Because of that, I would like to ask you for some advice. I am considering switching to biology sl, but I'm afraid I would never catch up - it's three moths since the school year has started. Moreover, is biology really easier than physics? I have no problems understanding physics (I get mostly 6s and 7s), but I'm afraid this particular teacher would never prepare me properly for the exam.

Thanks for any help, I'm quite desperate

You could speak to your fellow classmates and see if they feel the same. If so flag this problem up with your IB coordinator. If the whole class isn't really learning then the problem needs to be tackled ASAP.

If your classmates do not feel the same, then it's probably just an issue of your learning style not being compatable with his teaching style. If this is the case you have two options:

A) You could do extra notes and learning out of lesson time to prepare yourself further. Or

B) Switch to Biology SL. Option A may prove time consuming, especially as Physics is an SL subject and you're generally meant to spend more time on your HLs.

Backing ChocolateDrop, if the way of teaching is an issue for whole class, you should raise it with your IB Coordinator. For me there's nothing wrong with using mainly the textbook in teaching, but csme additional source of notes/exercises would definitely be useful.

If you consider switching to Bio seriously now the time is high to do this. It actually depends on what your prefer. If I were you I wouldn't switch just because I'd die of boredom in the lessons. :D

Edited by Slovakov

I think textbooks are based on syllabus so it's better than teaching from everything except texbook, or even worse, about everything except the syllabus, which happens... But if you want some additional examples maybe you can simply tell him that. Ask if he could explain sth in a different way or give you other materials to understand the topic better. Also, you will probably find a lot of useful recources on the internet. But I wouldn't recommend switching into biology, it's mostly a lot of boring memorising.. If you understand physics but are afraid of your exam anyway, get yourself a study guide or past papers. Or both. And do them when you cover some syllabus to check yourself.

In the IB Physics Guide (and probably in your textbook) there a 'assessment statements' for each topic. Basically, they are everything the examiners can test you on. So, if you are concerned that your teacher is not covering everything have a look at the assessment statements and see if you are able to answer them.

Also, as other people have said, the study guides are useful and there are lots of questions on the internet www.inthinking.co.uk is a good site.

Edited by khimberleigh

Or Get The Oxford Course Companion 9780199139545.jpg

Holy crap, my physics teacher co-authored that book!

Right, back to the point. LOL.

The IB is tough, the teacher can only give you so much (even if that so much is only just the textbook, though again, what ChocolateDrop said). The rest is up to you. Google what you don't get, more examples, online lessons etc - plenty exist.

• Like 1