Going into Pre-IB? I want some advice on preparing?

Borntodraw

I'm going into Pre-IB next year, ninth grade :) and I want to know how to prepare.

-What can I do now to prepare for Pre-IB?

-Can you post copies of the syllabi for these classes?

•HL History of The Americas

•SL Spanish

•HL Biology

•SL Visual Arts

•HL World Literature

•SL Math

-Is that a good setup?

-Is there any difference between IB in Florida? I live in Florida and I'm going to be in the IB Programme at Gulf High School, if that helps.

Thank you~!

• Like 1

holy moly your exams are in 2017. They're getting more eager every year!

You don't really need to do much I imagine :blink: it's just the pre IB... you'll be alright if you just keep up with the work. Don't start worrying yourself now!

Good on you for taking the initiative. but... you don't need to do loads of preparation now.

:blink:

• Like 1

Is Pre-IB like MYP? Don't worry too much about it! When I was in year 9 last year, i spent some time earlier on thinking about the future and how I'm going to cope with everything, but legit, it's not worth it. Concentrate on your current year and take each test/ assessment one by one. Enjoy your final 'free' years :)

Enjoy the freedom, go to every party that takes place. Because in IB your free time mustn't be wasted on stupid things like that. In future you should develop yourself on CAS, pal :) And of course you should sleep much and well, because in IB you'll spend nights doing IAs. Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas

• Like 3

I'm going into Pre-IB next year, ninth grade :) and I want to know how to prepare.

-What can I do now to prepare for Pre-IB?

-Can you post copies of the syllabi for these classes?

•HL History of The Americas

•SL Spanish

•HL Biology

•SL Visual Arts

•HL World Literature

•SL Math

-Is that a good setup?

-Is there any difference between IB in Florida? I live in Florida and I'm going to be in the IB Programme at Gulf High School, if that helps.

Thank you~!

Oh my goodness, you are so young! I think you should start preparing once you get into 10th grade summer vacation...

Try to enjoy yourself right now, maintain good grades but don't over work yourself. Save that for later when gr.12 comes.

Your subjects sounds fine. Perhaps in the future, you can look into what career you wish to pursue and choose courses that can further help you for that.

For syllabuses, check the files sections. And browse the internet as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice is immerse yourself in all your interests and extra-curricular activities (not as much time or energy for that once you're in IB); if you have anything you want to try, now's the time to do it. Plus, you'll be doing it for fun now and not for CAS hours :P.

Another thing might be to work on your time-management skills, build good habits like having certain "working times" and sticking to them or work-planners and to-do lists, things like that. God knows how much I've suffered because of my procrastination.

Finally, have fun! Enjoy your stress-free learning environment and your happy life!

I'm currently in Pre-IB and all I can say is that it's not that hard. Of course, there's more work than before (especially at home), however you (at least in Poland) have also less classes than in middle school.

I would advise you to focus on extra curricular activities and your intrests. Also my sister (which was an IB student few years ago) advised me to do many things that I'll be able to put into my personal statement.

Don't forget to think about what you want to study and check if that's a good course for you! I have to choose my IB subjects untill Jan 4th and I have a lot of problems with the decision, because I'm really confused about what I want to do in the future. I thought I knew what I want to study, but then after I started to read Univeristies' websites, read about different courses and check career possiblities I wasn't so sure anymore. And universities require specific subjects for different courses so it's important to be more or less decided :) Otherwise you'll struggle like me and realise that maybe you need different subjects than you have chosen before.

I remember writing similar topics before summer and now I can see that it was a waste of time, because pre IB is relatively easy :)

-----

sorry for my mistakes :) I'm not a native speaker.

• Like 1

Gaby's advice (which I pass on to pre-IBers in my school): DO NOTHING. Just extracurriculars. Nothing else. Just enough to pass and get into the IB. I went through the pre-IB, I consider it the biggest waste of time in my life, and I really do wish I did less work. I didn't even do any work in the summer before the IB (or between IB1 and IB2, for that matter, beside writing my EE), and I manage to do just fine (I'm on 42 predicted). Start thinking about the IB a week or two before you start it.

I'm in pre-IB right now, and I would mostly advise doing extracurriculars. At my school, pre-IB isn't that much more difficult than any of the other classes, so being in pre-IB classes really isn't an excuse for not doing any extracurricular activities. in fact, if you don't do extracurricular activiites than you're just lazy :P From what I understand you won't have a lot of spare time for extracurriculars when you're in the IB program, so just do a ton your pre-IB years so that colleges won't think that you're a slug.

From what I understand you won't have a lot of spare time for extracurriculars when you're in the IB program, so just do a ton your pre-IB years so that colleges won't think that you're a slug.

Now, this is just not true. ;) I've been doing extracurriculars for the past 1.5 years more than ever in my life and I somehow manage. ;) I only stopped getting involved in all the fancy stuff that involves missing school and travelling, sometimes abroad, but generally, you can do ECs and do just fine. :)