Cricket and IB

cricketcrazynerd

I'm starting IB next year I'm really worried about how I'm going to balance my time-consuming hobby (watching cricket) and school work. Til not I've been one of the students who doesn't work much, but still gets top marks... i'm generally more stressed about the outcomes of cricket matches than my results. However, i know this way of studying wont work next year and i don't know how everything is going to work out. Do you think I'll have to just give up on cricket (which is extremely hard) or can I balance things? Everyone around me (parents, teachers and friends) have high expectations from me and I'm aiming to get at least 40 out of 45.

Also, a match usually lasts more than 3 hours :( I can get written updates online but... it's too distracting i guess

Thanks for all your advice :)

Well You Will Have To Give More Importance To The IB But That Doesn't Mean You Can't Watch Cricket. You'll Be Able To Watch It But Not Every Single Match Only Watch When It's Very Important Or When You Have Nothing. You Just Can't Not Have Fun , You'll Never Do Good If You Don't ;) The Trick Is About Balancing Your Time :D

• Like 1

Judging from your username, you do like cricket a lot :) My advice is try not to think about cricket, but when you do get tired of your school work catch up on all that cricket news you've been missing. Otherwise, I'd say just try and avoid reading about it too much, as it may be distracting. But i do know that some things are hard to ignore if you're passionate about them. Good luck balancing this interest with IB, but I'm sure you'll manage. :)

• Like 1

I'm starting IB next year I'm really worried about how I'm going to balance my time-consuming hobby (watching cricket) and school work. Til not I've been one of the students who doesn't work much, but still gets top marks... i'm generally more stressed about the outcomes of cricket matches than my results. However, i know this way of studying wont work next year and i don't know how everything is going to work out. Do you think I'll have to just give up on cricket (which is extremely hard) or can I balance things? Everyone around me (parents, teachers and friends) have high expectations from me and I'm aiming to get at least 40 out of 45.

Also, a match usually lasts more than 3 hours :( I can get written updates online but... it's too distracting i guess

Thanks for all your advice :)

Set a dedicated time of when you can watch cricket (on the weekends preferably) then put your work around that. It looks like you're in IB1 so you'll have a lot more time now than next year :) You'll be able to watch at least a cricket match a week probably. Just think about how much time to waste doing nothing or blindly surfing the internet :P

With all the other matches you can't watch (because the IB is your priority obviously) just keep up to date on the news and scores on your phone or computer.

• Like 1

Guest Positron

Seriously speaking, if your hobby is watching cricket, you should prioritize school work. Of course, you wont have to work 24/7 even if you wanted to do well; there will still be time for you to watch cricket. Just make sure you take care of your studying first, but after that you can watch cricket as much as you want.

Study while watching cricket? It's not that hard. After a while all the overs start to seem the same and they take breaks after every over anyway. Especially if you're watching a one-day or hell, a test match. Just put it on mute in the background and keep an eye out for it when working.

Of course don't do this if you're working on something that requires all your attention such as reading a book for English, for example. But if you're doing Maths sums or drafting a Science lab or something equally robotic, you might as well indulge yourself a bit. I finished three IAs for Economics in-between a Grey's Anatomy marathon once, it's totally doable.

• Like 1

Well You Will Have To Give More Importance To The IB But That Doesn't Mean You Can't Watch Cricket. You'll Be Able To Watch It But Not Every Single Match Only Watch When It's Very Important Or When You Have Nothing. You Just Can't Not Have Fun , You'll Never Do Good If You Don't ;) The Trick Is About Balancing Your Time :D

Why Do You Persist In Capitalising Every Beginning Letter in Every Word In The Entire Post? It's Extremely Distracting And Now That I'm Writing Like This To Prove A Point, It's Also Extremely Annoying And Difficult To Keep Up And Slows You Down Considerably When Typing. Also, Why The Large Font? Just Why?

You Do Realise That None Of What You Say Has Any Emphasis Whatsoever Because Everything Appears Emphasised For No Good Reason.

Just Voicing My Thoughts And General Curiosity.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 6

Why Do You Persist In Capitalising Every Beginning Letter in Every Word In The Entire Post? It's Extremely Distracting And Now That I'm Writing Like This To Prove A Point, It's Also Extremely Annoying And Difficult To Keep Up And Slows You Down Considerably When Typing. Also, Why The Large Font? Just Why?

You Do Realise That None Of What You Say Has Any Emphasis Whatsoever Because Everything Appears Emphasised For No Good Reason.

I've been writing like that for too long that it's automatic, it takes longer not to press shift :P

I've been writing like that for too long that it's automatic, it takes longer not to press shift :P

Haha!

That's really weird. When'd you start typing like that and why? I'm really curious as to how that style came about. While I was typing that previous post mimicking your style, it was SO annoying to press shift before the start of every new word! I nearly blew my cap right there. How do you have the patience? Seriously?

Guest Positron

Guys, you're going seriously off topic. :)

Who cares, this is an interesting discussion :) Sometimes going off topic is quite alright, and anyways the original question has already been answered.

Thanks for all the advice... i do realise that ib's gonna be my ultimate priority in the next two years :)

Judging from your username, you do like cricket a lot :) My advice is try not to think about cricket, but when you do get tired of your school work catch up on all that cricket news you've been missing. Otherwise, I'd say just try and avoid reading about it too much, as it may be distracting. But i do know that some things are hard to ignore if you're passionate about them. Good luck balancing this interest with IB, but I'm sure you'll manage. :)

Yeah... i dont know why but i'm really into the sport :)

Study while watching cricket? It's not that hard. After a while all the overs start to seem the same and they take breaks after every over anyway. Especially if you're watching a one-day or hell, a test match. Just put it on mute in the background and keep an eye out for it when working.

Of course don't do this if you're working on something that requires all your attention such as reading a book for English, for example. But if you're doing Maths sums or drafting a Science lab or something equally robotic, you might as well indulge yourself a bit. I finished three IAs for Economics in-between a Grey's Anatomy marathon once, it's totally doable.

That's how I've been going through year 10... in fact i wrote my personal project report while watching a twenty20 match and still managed to get full marks :) I think this is the best and most logical method :D

tots agree :):)