Research sources

dandoon96

What are primary and secondary resources? :/ sorry.

I'm doing mine on a language and i thought it's less stringent

Could you tell us what your topic is? It'll be easier to offer advice then and tell you what's the difference between primary and secondary sources for your particular topic. :)

What are primary and secondary resources? :/ sorry.

I'm doing mine on a language and i thought it's less stringent

'Primary sources -Original, first-hand accounts as building blocks to create stories from the past. First evidence of something happening, or being thought or said.

Example primary sources

• Diaries
  • Letters
  • Photographs
  • Art
  • Maps
  • Video and film
  • Sound recordings
  • Interviews
  • Newspapers
  • Magazines
  • Published first-hand accounts, or stories

Secondary sources - Second-hand, published accounts. They are created after primary sources and they often use or talk about primary sources. Secondary sources can give additional opinions (sometimes called bias) on a past event or on a primary source. Secondary sources often have many copies, found in libraries, schools or homes.

• History textbooks
  • Biographies
  • Published stories
  • Movies of historical events
  • Art
  • Music recordings

According to: http://www.collectio...008-3010-e.html

One of the criteria deals with the research sources and the variety that is used.

Do examiners lower your mark if you only have 2 books as resources? and like 10 websites?

And do you need to cite whether its an ebook?

It depends on the subject and how much information is available on it.

If you're doing a historical investigation ton something like WW2 which is well documented then you'd probably lose marks.

However if you're doing some mathematic investigation on some abstract and not that documented/ investigated topic. Then this would be taken into consideration. Compared to some other subjects, maths EEs are usually more difficult to find information and sources, I'm guessing this is why EE examiners are more leniant in the word count and number of sources used.

Too many sources on the other hand might make you look like you're basically reproducing other people's work. I'd have a minum of 5, but dont go crazy with the sources.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/International_Baccalaureate/Extended_Essay_Tips

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1