TOK Essay Prescribed Title #1

Ghaqa Dirgandana

Ohai guise

I'm kinda in a block during when I was writing my essay, can't think of anythink else.

The statement is "Disagreements aid to the pursuit of knowledge" in Natural and Human Sciences

I've thought of my argument, which goes for the statement. I have some examples such as the atomic model theories and the acid/base theories, but I couldn't think of any example for human sciences. Also, I can't think up of any counter-arguments to this one. So I was considering to change the prescribed title to #6.

Any ideas or advices? Much appreciated.

Ohai guise

I'm kinda in a block during when I was writing my essay, can't think of anythink else.

The statement is "Disagreements aid to the pursuit of knowledge" in Natural and Human Sciences

I've thought of my argument, which goes for the statement. I have some examples such as the atomic model theories and the acid/base theories, but I couldn't think of any example for human sciences. Also, I can't think up of any counter-arguments to this one. So I was considering to change the prescribed title to #6.

Any ideas or advices? Much appreciated.

1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences? The question is asking you to analyze how disagreeing (so counter arguments) help in your acquisition of knowledge in natural and human sciences. So I think you got that down.

Natural Sciences: How would you explain/show that these scientific theories of atomic model and acid/base create disagreements that help in your pursuit of knowledge? You must have a personal example that can help prove your point.

Human Sciences : There are three main sub categories to human sciences, there is Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology. Try to explain how disagreements on a type of human behavior can help you in acquiring knowledge.

For example, analyzing the social phenomenons of suicide.

• On one side we have sociologist Durkheim who believed that suicide was a social phenomenon and did not look into the reason of suicide to abstain from subjective information. He based his studies on quantitative data to have an objective analysis.
  • On the other side, we have Weber. He believed that to understand society, we have to analyse each person individually. With empathy, we can understand the reasons that provokes someone to commit suicide.

From both different perspectives, you can see how disagreement and different methods/research can still in the end give us information on suicide as a social phenomenon.

Don't forget, all information you mention must correspond to answering your question. You only have 1600 words to write this so I suggest you don't waste words or waste describing things that aren't relevant to answering this knowledge issue.

Hope that Helps you out :)

• Like 1

This thread has been made before. It was only a few posts down the page, you are allowed to contribute to those too.

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: See above.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff