English A1 - Unseen P1

Abu

SL: TZ2, did the prose. I mentioned ambiguity, as well as growing tension, the building up of the setting as well as the diction used to describe Ian being kinda angry, and the way the two characters contrasted each other. Also managed to squeeze bathos in, so happy about that! And I did manage to stick to a fixed structure.

The prose was "On the other side of the bridge" by Mary Lawson

Edited by HMSChocolate

HL: I did the poem ("Household goods" by ....? I don't remember the poet's name. Which may be a sign I didn't mention him enough in my essay :yes: ). I'm usually better at analyzing prose, but I didn't like the passage they had (something by C.S. Lewis - nothing against him; just didn't like the passage). With the poem, I talked about the personification of the household goods and consequent dehumanization of the human characters. I related it all back to the concept of home versus house... and then somehow strayed into talking about the concept of gods/godliness? I wasn't too happy with that.

Oh well, Paper 1 down, Paper 2 (and all my other exams) left to go :)

HL: I did the prose passage Voyage to Venus by C.S. Lewis.

I found the poem to be highly confusing. I read it once, and i was like, **** that **** >.<

For prose, i talked about the characterisation of the protagonist. The way he is running toward the cottage was like he is running AWAY from something.

Also, motif of madness and horror.....

so, for me, 1 paper down, 9 more to go...

Guest iber2468

Prose, Voyage to Venus by C.S. Lewis

I mentioned

* The building of tension in each paragraph, a rollercoaster of emotion

* The difference between objective description and internal thoughts/dialogue

* Sentence structure, lengths etc in reference to above

* Ransom as representation of humanity --> his house calms the narrator, to read the note the narrator strikes a match

* Light vs. dark

* Diction to evoke fear

* Narrator's self-awareness (intuition vs. perception, LMAO TOK!), telling the story in hindsight

* Imagery etc. etc.

* Theme of man vs. self, man vs. nature

* Metaphors, personification

* Use of dashes, question marks, brackets etc.

Edited by Crystal

I mentioned

* Ransom as representation of humanity --> his house calms the narrator, to read the note the narrator strikes a match

* Light vs. dark

* Diction to evoke fear

* Narrator's self-awareness (intuition vs. perception, LMAO TOK!), telling the story in hindsight

* Imagery etc. etc.

I pretty much did everything you did Crystal, except I don't agree with you that the house calms him ;P.

I did: seeming vs. being, uncertainty, fear and loneliness and its ontological consequences >.<

I was really happy that the passage was so good and was satisfied with my commentary :lol:

Edited by blindpet

*shudders* did the poetry

Now, according to my friend, each stanza represented a house hold item:

1 - mirror ("I mirrored")

2 - not sure

3 - clay cup

4 - rug

Walls are in there somewhere, and then the last stanza is the mirror again.

I didn't figure that one out...I wrote about the house as a whole *sigh*.

HL, I did the poetry passage "Household Gods".

Didn't occur to me that each stanza represented a different object..I rambled on about the house as whole and the devastating effect that a divorce has on outside parties. Somehow I also said the house was a metaphor for a child caught between parents whose marriage is dissolving, feeling confused, etc :\.

Hopefully my p2 goes a lot better.

I mentioned

* Light vs. dark

* Diction to evoke fear

* Imagery etc. etc.

I talked about all of the above also, except Ransom being a representation of humanity (you'd have to explain that interpretation for me to understand it). Immediately after the test I was talking to one of my friends and he said that the passage was about the Biltz (German blitz of Britain in World War II). I was wondering if any of you guys picked up on that.

For the people who did the poem in my class, they all said the poem's underlying meaning deals primarily with divorce, what did you guys who did the poem say it was about?

Edited by Chuck10112

SL: TZ2, did the prose. I mentioned ambiguity, as well as growing tension, the building up of the setting as well as the diction used to describe Ian being kinda angry, and the way the two characters contrasted each other. Also managed to squeeze bathos in, so happy about that! And I did manage to stick to a fixed structure.

The prose was "On the other side of the bridge" by Mary Lawson

Did the same thing.. talked about mostly the same things too...

Commented on the obvious contrasts, the tension, the use of motions (playing with the food, etc) vs. the use of words (the girl's non-stop talking), the use of the limited omniscient point of view and some other small things I found interesting.

Edited by cixelsyD

Guest LauraheartsLife

I did the poetry 'Household Gods' by Philip Hobsbaum

I said that people living in a house made the house alive and i did mention the different stanzas being objects.

I also spoke about the effect that people leaving a house forever had on the soul of the house.

Meh I couldn't think how to put it into words

Guest iber2468

I didn't pick up the blitz part for HL Prose. Oh well. I was debating w/ myself whether or not to include Christian references since it's C.S. Lewis... but decided against it.

Omfg I used HE/SHE throughout the ENTIRE essay, so annoying. Then I found out the narrator was an alien - an "it". :D

HL: I did the poem ("Household goods" by ....? I don't remember the poet's name. Which may be a sign I didn't mention him enough in my essay :D ). I'm usually better at analyzing prose, but I didn't like the passage they had (something by C.S. Lewis - nothing against him; just didn't like the passage). With the poem, I talked about the personification of the household goods and consequent dehumanization of the human characters. I related it all back to the concept of home versus house... and then somehow strayed into talking about the concept of gods/godliness? I wasn't too happy with that.

Oh well, Paper 1 down, Paper 2 (and all my other exams) left to go :)

don't worry about that, if u said "the poet" it's fine as well! I don't even think I mentioned the name of mine once and I got a 7 on that paper (in SL though), u don't need to mention the name specifically... =)

I did the prose and I liked it as well. It took me awhile to pick apart but it was fine in the end

I was talking to one of my friends and he say that the passage was about the Biltz (German blitz of Britain in World War II).

Yes, I picked up on that and mentioned it!

I can't even remember... it was two weeks ago.

But what tipped me off was the narrator was wondering if it was "blackout" time yet.

Also Crystal- IT WAS AN ALIEN!? WTF?!

I read the passage again SPECIFICALLY looking for it's gender... so I just used "he" throughout.

Wow, that sucks.

I can't even remember... it was two weeks ago.

But what tipped me off was the narrator was wondering if it was "blackout" time yet.

Also Crystal- IT WAS AN ALIEN!? WTF?!

I read the passage again SPECIFICALLY looking for it's gender... so I just used "he" throughout.

Wow, that sucks.

Remember that the passages the IBO picks are always open to many interpretations. Getting the 'right' answer is not important, it's about analysis and interpretation, arguing and supporting your claims. The fact that the narrator is an alien is irrelevant unless you have proof from the passage. For example I said that Ransom was to be interpreted literally as a ransom - because Ransom seemed to have control of the narrator in some strange way, which I supported from the text.

So guys, don't stress about the gender of the narrator or that you interpreted it 'wrong'. The exercise is not to figure out what the whole work is about, it's what you can deduce given literary features in the passage.

btw - I hate Paper 2.

^ I'm not stressed. I really don't care how I did. I just want my diploma.

Also, stress is so passé.

AND, I am pretty sure 2 years of commentary writing has taught me that there are different interpretations.

I was just irritated that after all that searching for gender it happened to be an alien.

Edited by Jewelianna

• 2 weeks later...