What are the consequences of taking the IB certificate?

theycallmemary

Hey guys! So, I am just wondering, what are the consequences of taking the IB certificate instead of the diploma? Let's just say if I really did go with the certificate, can i still use it to apply to a university? OR would I have to take foundations first? And if yes, does that mean that taking the certificate is equivalent to failing? I just need to know the complete framework of pros and cons, since takin the certificate could be my possible future. Btw, has anyone here taken the certificate before? If so, are there any obstacles or hurdles you face with trying to get accepted into the uni?

Thanks

Btw i am writing this because i am currently in a very tight situation whereby i have to hand in my EE and Tok next week and its just half done. I know i might be able to get it done within a week but i doubt i will score well for them.. Instead of risking the unknown i am thinking of taking IB certificate instead of diploma. I understand that taking the certificate will lead me to having hard time applying to univsities but i am also considering on taking SAT as a back up. I am thinking that without the diploma i can still count on SAT. Furthermore, by dropping IB diploma and hence not needing to hand in my EE or TOK essay, i can manage to concentrate more on other subjects and the SAT i am about to take. inputs will be much appreciated since i am given limited time to decide over this..thank you so much ....

I would suggest that you talk to your supervisor for your EE and possibly the administration of your school in order to find out if there is any possibilities for an extension. Same for you TOK Essay; talk to your teacher and go to the administration and ask for an extension. Make sure you explain your reasons clearly!

SATs are not back-up to get into university, it is a test that you do in addition to your diploma for the universities to know what level of English you have.

^^ What the above user said. Explain your dilemma to your teachers. The official IB deadlines for these things may not be as soon as your school is asking for them in. I'm not sure about TOK, but the EE is unlikely to actually need sending off until some time in January. Of course it's up to your school as to whether they'll let you do that or not, but if they'll break their internal deadlines you might be in with a shot.

I'm not sure about applications to US Universities, but you've really no chance trying to apply to any UK Universities without the full diploma. A collection of certificates isn't worth anything much at all here.

I suggest you speak to your teachers and in the meantime work VERY hard on finishing these things. TBH it's worth taking some days off school in order to complete them if it comes down to it. It's kind-of your fault leaving it until the last minute so you've got to pull out all the stops now!