BJD

I just completed my first all nighter with school in an hour. I had to crack down two biology lab reports and a Works in Translation essay. I used a can of red bull and had a bottle of Evian to sort of "balance it out" in a psychosomatic view. I just want to know what are your experiences with all nighters, have you done many? Were they productive? Is a frequent occurrence? Do you benefit from it?

I'm apprehensive to find out how the whole day will pan out. Will be interesting!

This is my first year in IB, and so far I'm surviving it. It's been three and a half months and I haven't pulled all nighter yet. Personally I don't think it's a good idea. It's neither beneficial for one's health nor is it productive. As long as you don't procrastinate, you should be able to get about at least six and a half hours of sleep every day (that's what I get). The latest that I've stayed up was back in Grade 10, during one of my sessions at Model UN. I stayed up until 2:30 am to write a draft resolution, and woke up at 6:30 to get back to it. It turned out to be...well, not one of the best decisions I've ever made, I had to have four cups of coffee just to keep my eyes open. I felt dizzy and I had a headache for the entire day.

So far in IB, my latest record is 1:30 am, when I was preparing for a history debate. And it took me two days to get back from that sleep-deprived state.

Anyways, I remember when I first started, the Year 2's told us : In IB, there's school, sleep, and social; you can only choose two out of the three. You're a Year 2, I thought you guys already know that. But if you don't, I hope this advice would somehow be helpful to you.

Good luck! And you REALLY do need to sleep more. :)

This is my first year in IB, and so far I'm surviving it. It's been three and a half months and I haven't pulled all nighter yet. Personally I don't think it's a good idea. It's neither beneficial for one's health nor is it productive. As long as you don't procrastinate, you should be able to get about at least six and a half hours of sleep every day (that's what I get). The latest that I've stayed up was back in Grade 10, during one of my sessions at Model UN. I stayed up until 2:30 am to write a draft resolution, and woke up at 6:30 to get back to it. It turned out to be...well, not one of the best decisions I've ever made, I had to have four cups of coffee just to keep my eyes open. I felt dizzy and I had a headache for the entire day.

So far in IB, my latest record is 1:30 am, when I was preparing for a history debate. And it took me two days to get back from that sleep-deprived state.

Anyways, I remember when I first started, the Year 2's told us : In IB, there's school, sleep, and social; you can only choose two out of the three. You're a Year 2, I thought you guys already know that. But if you don't, I hope this advice would somehow be helpful to you.

Good luck! And you REALLY do need to sleep more. :)

Hahaaa yeah it's crazy - I got by this far thinking I could have school, sleep, social AND work. It worked for so long, this is the first time it caught up to me, I don't regret it even if I get into that really horrible state because I have tried something new and it it don't work then so be it. I am glad to be handing three IA's in on-time though. Boy do I miss year 1...

An all-nighter once in a while isn't a huge problem, as long as it doesn't become a reoccurring happening. I have actually never pulled a complete all-nighter in my 'IB-career' of now 1.5 years. However, I have stayed up until 6AM working and then went to bed to sleep for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Horrible experience, but sometimes it really has to be done.

Mostly, it is a result of my endless procrastination (and I do believe that it is the same for a lot of people). Just organise yourself well and you'll be fine. Allnighters are crap.

If you keep yourself organised and you don't procrastinate? You can have sleep (i.e. NO all nighters) have great grades and an amazing social life :P

I know I know, procrastination is epitome of our existence...but hey whats to lose if not giving it a go right?

I for one never pulled an all-nighter, I need my sleep too much XD So I worked hard to try to avoid it. Plus, with lack of sleep, i'm literally like a zombie and the "brains" I look for are chocolate bars (hellloooo diabetes). As for my social life? I must say, it was a rocking one :P I must admit tho, I wasn't THAT organised but i managed to get all 3 :) (okay, I had average grades but i'm alright with that)

Good Luck!

I never had to pull an all-nighter. There were some nights where I only got three or four hours of sleep since I had big assignments due the next day, but I never pulled an all-nighter due to my IB work. I've done two all-nighters after the IB though, but one was a graduation party and the other it wasn't worth going to bed since I'd have to get up so early anyways. So I don't know what you'd say for the productiveness of those lol. But really, you shouldn't have to pull an all-nighter. If you've organized yourself and have decent time-management skills and know when it's time to work, there's no reason you should have to pull an all-nighter. It's when you procrastinate all day and you know you have an assignment and can't organize yourself that your sleep begins to take a hit.

My sleep schedule is messed up, still haven't pulled an all-nighter (on a school night) since the IB started, though. Record is 5am (this was just last week, hehe), and wake-up is 6:30am. Average is 2am, then again - I procrastinate, A LOT. If you don't procrastinate: (a) give me your brain. (b) you should be fine.

My sleep schedule is messed up, still haven't pulled an all-nighter (on a school night) since the IB started, though. Record is 5am (this was just last week, hehe), and wake-up is 6:30am. Average is 2am, then again - I procrastinate, A LOT. If you don't procrastinate: (a) give me your brain. (b) you should be fine.

How do you survive on just 1.5 hours of sleep! D:

Looks to me like if you've got a lot on your plate (from your sig). How are you coping with so many things going on at once??

Well, I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits and hopefully you wont have to pull an all nighter :)

Though I've done my best not to pull an all-nighter this term, I'm certain it will happen eventually.

I've done several all-nighters in the past, and strangely, the essays and lab reports that I pushed out did not suffer noticeably for it (though they ended up being wordier and more tongue-in-cheek, perhaps due to a certain loss of sensibility). In terms of what works, from personal experience, caffeine works just about as well as you'd think - if you're a coffee fiend like me you'll probably brew a whole pot and finish it by the end. :P

If you can get hold of some ginseng and don't mind the bitter taste when chewing it, that works as a great alternative to coffee.

For me, yes. I found it very beneficial to pull all nighters on the Wednesday a week before test week, since we finished early on Thursdays. I would choose it over going to sleep unprepared any day. But to be honest, you don't need to pull an all nighter if you managed your time properly. I wouldn't recommend it the day before a test, but for something like an IA of course. Personally, I find working during these hours a lot more productive since I couldn't bear the shame of procrastination when I'm forgoing sleep to finish something due in a few hours XD

My record was sleeping at 6.30 to 7 to complete my math IA. Woke up at about 8 or 9 and continued with it. Then I went to school to hand it in. :peace: You shouldn't have to pull an all-nighter if you organise your time well. Obviously I'm not one of those people who are on top of their work. But to be honest, I felt proud of myself when I was doing my IA. It felt as though I was becoming an IB student... :proud:

• 2 weeks later...

How do you survive on just 1.5 hours of sleep! D:

Looks to me like if you've got a lot on your plate (from your sig). How are you coping with so many things going on at once??

Well, I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits and hopefully you wont have to pull an all nighter :)

Oh no I was just falling asleep in TOK that day. Ahaha. The scarier thing is being able to survive on < 3-4 hours of sleep a day. D: To which I answer, I don't know (+ Caffeine)

Unfortunately, yes - far too much. Haha. It's all fun stuff that I enjoy doing, so it's not all that bad. :)

Thank you, ahah, and to you! (Also, Merry Christmas everyone!)

(sorry for the uber-late reply)

Edited by unicornication

I've been in the IB program for half a year and haven't felt the need to pull an all-nighter yet.

Whenever I see a new assignment pop up, I try to organize it so that I start working a week ahead so that nothing really comes as a surprise to me when the test or assignment is getting closer.

I can imagine procrastination becoming a bigger problem in the coming year, but as for now it's not really an issue.

If I'm not mistaken, however, I think staying up ALL night is better than sleeping for an hour or so.

If you stay up all night you won't feel as bad in my experience. Of course, this may vary from person to person.

I think, though, that if I were to pull an all-nighter it would really have to be an ALL-nighter.

I also haven't pulled an all-nighter yet, but I am one of unorganized people who learns for the test 2 days before. I usually go to bed at 10.30 pm but a day before the test i go to bed at 2 am and get up at 6 am. I know that this is not good for me and for my immune system, but I really have a need to learn everything. I hope I will become more organized during this year and be well prepared for the finals.

I know this girl who is in Grade 11, so Year 12, this being the first year of the IB.

She sleeps like 12 hours a day since she naps when she gets home and barely has any time to work.

I don't know how, but she gets amazing grades...

So you can get a lot of sleep and work (maybe not a social life since you'll be sleeping but still) if you are an absolute genius :P

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also in IB1 and I have never pulled an all-nighter, or at least not yet. I go to sleep every day at 10.30 because my mom's REAAALLY strict.

Everyone says that at some point I will as an IB student have to pull all-nighters (which I hope I won't)

But still, I think the IB Programme's really good in the way that it offers you loads of chances for uni, but probably (with all CAS, EE, TOK, IAs etc) it's like it's planned for you to not have any free time or to procrastinate. I feel like it's practically designed for you 'life' outside school to be CAS.

But I think sleeping is important to work properly (side effects of caffeine: insomnia, nervousnes, stomach irritation, nausea, increased heart rate and respiration) Sadly I sometimes feel some of the side effects without even taking caffeine XD