That has nothing to do with the IB, rather the rules of your IB-school. It has happened in my school (a boarding school) and the student got expelled; they don't tolerate it at my school. Generally stealing is looked down upon so yeah maybe the person will get expelled, but I don't know your school rules (which is all this depends upon).

Edited by dniviE

People were expelled from my school for stealing - but obviously it's up to the school. There's not some kind of international School Law about what'll get you kicked out in X, Y or Z place. People were expelled from my school for things they'd barely get into trouble for at any other school - e.g. making very clearly joke leaflets about the teachers 'trading on the black market' etc. was even enough to get some poor soul kicked out of my school when it was so obviously just a bit of fun and not a serious allegation at all. Anyway. My teachers had a dual sense of humour and justice amputation many many years ago. It depends on your teachers and what kind of a school it is.

TBH if somebody's stolen a laptop from somebody else, it's a criminal matter for the police as well.

We had a similar incident at my school two years before I joined. The student stealing was expelled. But at my friend's school where the same thing happened in her 1st IB Year, the student stealing the laptop was caught on tape and was then "asked to leave" without expulsion. So it's a specific school policy really.