Business + Accounting, Accounting + Finance, Business and finance

Nabz

My main concern is the scope of these fields. I wanted to do aeronautical engineering or computer components engineering but i dropped the idea because i found out that as the time goes, the competition is getting tough and especially in engineering, it is hard to find a job in whereas business, finance and accounting is everywhere.

Now i'm not familiar with these three courses because right now in IB i'm only doing Economics which is a bit similar to Business maybe? Which of the fields would you guys recommend me which is not all about numbers but something creative. I want to do joint honours so that at masters level, i can choose between the two subjects, i'm interested in.

Lets see what you guys have for me.

• Like 1

To do Accounting-relayed anything, anywhere, you need strong achievement in Maths. I'm not sure what the particular requirements in Canada or the US are, but in the UK, Maths HL is central to accounting courses. Economics, contrary to popular belief, is actually not even a requirement for studying Accounting (neither is Business Studies nor even Accounting).

You shouldn't shy away from a particular field because you think competition is hard btw. I don't think you realise how insanely competitive the accounting and finance streams are. Everyone at my university wants to be a banker and it's insanely hard to get a position, and I have the fortune of going to one of the better schools in the UK!

Study and go for something that you actually like a lot ideally. Don't get bogged down with arbitrary considerations about employability this early. If you're good and passionate, you will do well and get a job, no worries about that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To do Accounting-relayed anything, anywhere, you need strong achievement in Maths. I'm not sure what the particular requirements in Canada or the US are, but in the UK, Maths HL is central to accounting courses. Economics, contrary to popular belief, is actually not even a requirement for studying Accounting (neither is Business Studies nor even Accounting).

You shouldn't shy away from a particular field because you think competition is hard btw. I don't think you realise how insanely competitive the accounting and finance streams are. Everyone at my university wants to be a banker and it's insanely hard to get a position, and I have the fortune of going to one of the better schools in the UK!

Study and go for something that you actually like a lot ideally. Don't get bogged down with arbitrary considerations about employability this early. If you're good and passionate, you will do well and get a job, no worries about that.

just a question.. why is maths HL really required in order to do accounting and finance? isn't accounting is just basic mathematics? and im actually considering to do between those two, Accounting and Finance or Economics. I'm interested in economics and maths, and not so much for accounting during IGSCE, but doesnt mean i dont like accounting at all. Searched at student room theyd say economics is better degree then A&F, but then i must get a 7 in maths HL which is seemingly impossible. What's your opinion on that? I plan on working on the financial sector. I plan to take up chartered accountant, but i dont wanna be an accountant who sits in office all day long. I like maths and meeting people,. Im planning to apply LSE

btw here are my subjects

Business Management HL

Economics HL

Maths HL

Malay A1 SL

English B SL

Bio SL

Don't ask me why my combination is kind of weird.. the school required me to do Bio and Business eventhough it's not related and non-traditional subject

Thanks!

just a question.. why is maths HL really required in order to do accounting and finance? isn't accounting is just basic mathematics? and im actually considering to do between those two, Accounting and Finance or Economics. I'm interested in economics and maths, and not so much for accounting during IGSCE, but doesnt mean i dont like accounting at all. Searched at student room theyd say economics is better degree then A&F, but then i must get a 7 in maths HL which is seemingly impossible. What's your opinion on that? I plan on working on the financial sector. I plan to take up chartered accountant, but i dont wanna be an accountant who sits in office all day long. I like maths and meeting people,. Im planning to apply LSE

btw here are my subjects

Business Management HL

Economics HL

Maths HL

Malay A1 SL

English B SL

Bio SL

Don't ask me why my combination is kind of weird.. the school required me to do Bio and Business eventhough it's not related and non-traditional subject

Thanks!

Hey! Well, B&M HL will hurt your chances to get into LSE since it's listed as one of their non-preferred subjects. You can see that on p. 34 of the Undergraduate Prospectus.

Furthermore, don't think you can dispense with the 7 in Maths HL requirement by applying for Accounting and Finance at the LSE. I have loads of friends doing A&F here and most of them got an offer of 38 points with 7,6,6 and a 7 in Maths HL specifically. Some of them just got a 7,6,6/6,6,6 offer without specifying Maths HL for the 7, but that was only a few of those I know.

As to why Maths HL is a requirement? I don't know (which is why I'm studying Law). Personally, I think it's just one more method that the top universities use to distinguish between students. Very, very few students get 7s in Maths HL or are predicted the same, it reduces and streamlines the number of applications coming in to the very best of the best. That's my opinion anyway. It could be that the university thinks that Maths HL gives you the background you need to really be a good economist/statistician/accountant? I don't know.

Edited by Arrowhead

btw here are my subjects

Business Management HL

Economics HL

Maths HL

Malay A1 SL

English B SL

Bio SL

Thanks!

Hey! Well, B&M HL will hurt your chances to get into LSE since it's listed as one of their non-preferred subjects. You can see that on p. 34 of the Undergraduate Prospectus.

Furthermore, don't think you can dispense with the 7 in Maths HL requirement by applying for Accounting and Finance at the LSE. I have loads of friends doing A&F here and most of them got an offer of 38 points with 7,6,6 and a 7 in Maths HL specifically. Some of them just got a 7,6,6/6,6,6 offer without specifying Maths HL for the 7, but that was only a few of those I know.

As to why Maths HL is a requirement? I don't know (which is why I'm studying Law). Personally, I think it's just one more method that the top universities use to distinguish between students. Very, very few students get 7s in Maths HL or are predicted the same, it reduces and streamlines the number of applications coming in to the very best of the best. That's my opinion anyway. It could be that the university thinks that Maths HL gives you the background you need to really be a good economist/statistician/accountant? I don't know.

I know, I've heard about people saying in it TSR. I WISH I COULD CHANGE, but the school wouldnt allow me to. But I recently contacted LSE and they said it's fine as long as I scored 766 on HLs. Previously my school let us take Maths SL, but after checking out that Maths HL desirable, I have to tell them and have to go through a lot of process to change to maths HL. The teachers kept saying as if we are doing an arts degree, which needs no more than Maths Studies -_- Honestly I'm more interested in Economics but I heard it is competitive and I don't want to not be able to study overseas due to bad results.

And oh I'm worrid with my predicted grades too, as it is really hard to get a 7 in Business although it is considered as a non traditional subject. What can I do to solve this problem? Should I change my subject? Or just keep studying till I get a 7 in maths HL? LSE is like my dream school T_T

I also am having a hard time with my biology eventhough it's just SL. In previous exams, I did horribly for my biology, and my best science subject was physics. I'm thinking of changing it but my school wouldn't allow me to.. Hate how the alevel kids don't have to worry about their subjects since it's already good enough to apply there... why am i in IB..

Look I can't really advice you on your academic troubles, but I can definitively tell you that if you really want to read at the LSE, you need to pull up your socks and get your predicted scores up to a 38. It doesn't matter if you don't have a 7 predicted in Business, so long as it is at least a 6 and you have a 7,6,6 predicted in your HLs otherwise.

If you cannot get a 7,6,6 predicted, it's still worth applying for A&F if you have a 6,6,6 and at least a 38 overall because if your PS and recommendation are fantastic, you could still get in.

But just to dispel your illusions, LSE is great and all, but you won't be missing much if you don't attend here, so don't sweat it. :)

• Like 1