dragn

I would like to build a TOK presentation around mathematical language reducing the degree of interpretation and subjectivity in language as a way of knowing (for example, math taught in China to some degree appears to be the same material as math in Canada or America. Also, there aren't very many connotations associated with mathematical symbols as there are with words in "natural" languages like English, Arabic, etc.) however I'm not sure where to go with knowledge issues. I do not have a general topic question, and I cannot think of any counterclaims. I realize my current topic is too specific and seems to be able to arrive at only one conclusion. I don't know how to broaden the topic however. I would appreciate any help.

Arguably there is a difference between methods used to solve mathematical problems, and the reason for that is uneven level of development of mathematics in different parts of world. I am telling this from my experience, since I live in ex-communist country and Russian mathematics, which to some extent differ from those western, are applied in national learning programs even today. When coming to IB and start to use western application of mathematics, I saw some obvious differences. Some methods that these mathematics use are so dumb, and unnecessary. So far, mathematics learned in national program is much harder (like HHL of IB) and approach to understanding of math is a bit different (in my opinion oldish).

Here comes one thing I really like about mathematics in IB, its applicative and forces us to use logic (what it really should be), not overwhelming like in national systems.

When it comes to your TOK issue, its quite interesting, and in sense of language (symbols and letters) its easy to carry out your thesis. Furthermore, try to conceive your leading question in relation to: Why all sciences start and end by application of mathematics, and where that universality of solution comes from, logic or language?

Think about it ;)

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the help! You don't know how much this means to me. I have an idea of where to begin building this presentation now and I'll get started on that right away :)

@Director of the Universe Thank you so much for the thesis prompt :)