History (HL) IA/HI Topic Help

kylevanh

Hey guys!

I need help narrowing down/finalizing my idea for this mock HI due soon. We have to do something on the Vietnam War and I want to do something on Chemical Warfare/ Operation Ranch Hand. My original idea was this:

To what extent did Operation Ranch hand completely alter the lives of the Vietnamese Population?

Then I realized it was an already answered question as it also leaves little room for interpretation/analysis.

I then came up with a second:

To what extent was Operation Ranch Hand an informed and justified decision based on its consequences to the Vietnamese population?

I favor this question more because i think that it requires a bit more analysis than the original; however, I am not completely sure if I can find ample information on it (such as US policy papers etc).

Does anybody have any sort of ideas how to approach/manipulate this topic on Chemical Warfare in Vietnam to make it a successful HI topic? If no, can someone please help me find another aspect of the war to study?

I'm at a loss!

Thank you all

To what extent was Operation Ranch Hand an informed and justified decision based on its consequences to the Vietnamese population?

Since you've already stated that the "consequences" in question is a settled question, the ideal way of narrowing down your topic would be to focus on one particular consequence and then on a particular part of the "population," so: to what extent...based on its consequence[ on the economic ruination] to the Vietnamese [youth] population [settled in a village in the Mekong Delta]?"

Something along those lines would narrow things quite well I would say.

Best of luck!