is it a valid questions, any other suggestions?

12345mono

Hello ib survivors, I guess just like other ib students I am another one struggling to find an extended essay topic. Firstly, my subject of interest is psychology and theatre.Now the twist is, I don't have theatre in my school and only psych so I haven't done theate in theory but had a good experience performing on stage. If anyone could come up with a topic relating these two would be awesome.Another thing, I wrote down two question which is only pscyhology related , can you guys tellme if these can be valid questions?

1) To what extent does an increase or decrease in the level of serotnin affect suicidal behaviour ?

2) To what extent is divorce related to a decrease in the level of oxytocin between couples?

Thanks.

Sadly I don't take psych but I can give you some advice.

If you haven't taken Theatre as an IB subject do not attempt to try an EE in it. You may have experience performing on stage but that does not mean you know the criteria and how to answer and research for an EE.

Stick to psych. That will be your best bet esp since you're taking it for IB.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

A theatre EE has very little to do with actual performing. It's actually quite literary involves a lot of research and writing. Keep in mind that IB Theatre is entirely academic at its core. I would certainly not approach it, even less do an EE in it, if I wasn't reading the subject during the IB, and especially if my only exposure to it had been a positive stage experience. Seriously though, IB Theatre is a notoriously difficult subject and most people struggle with it.

As far as your Psychology EE topics are concerned, they seem fine to me. But I'm not a Psych student so I won't comment on that.

Can anyone suggest me ee topics for paranomal psychology?

Sorry, we cannot think up a topic for you. :)

Is paranormal psychology even a valid area for an EE? I'd check that if I were you. Read around a bit, try to get some knowledge, we can help you shape and put final touches to your question, but we cannot do your work for you, you get marks for it. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your research question starts with "to what extent" then try to answer it in your head already. How would you answer it? To a BIG extent? Just a suggestion, but I would drop the "To what extent..." part.

"To what extent" is actually a pretty popular starter for a topic, not only an RQ in an EE, but in loads of subjects in exams. It does not necessarily mean you end up saying "to a big/small/negligeable extent". In my EE, I started my RQ with to what extent, then answered it in the conclusion.

IMO 'to what extent' belongs in humanity type subjects a lot more. Anything where you have multiple lines of argument, multiple facts and it's your job to stick them together, weigh them up etc. - for instance in History, English Lit. etc.

In science 'to what extent' is a bit of a silly way to begin. You're not here to argue anything, you're here to dispassionately collect results which then prove or disprove. Serotonin either does or doesn't have an effect. If it has an effect where you're having to sit and decide the extent to which it works, then you shouldn't be arguing anything, you should be examining why you've got inconclusive results and accepting that you can't really draw a conclusion OR having to accept the null hypothesis. You're looking into the effect of variable X on Y. Good science doesn't try to interpret out conclusions which can't really be drawn from the data, so you shouldn't really even have the multiple lines of argument in order to draw an 'extent' up at the end. So yeah, I also think that "to what extent" doesn't belong in this essay. It's a phrase used to help you evaluate multiple contributing factors and come to a personal judgement/conclusion at the end - which shouldn't happen in good clean science.

• 5 weeks later...

So you mean, "to what extend" would just tell the examiner to what extend, instead of arguing about a conclusion find out the reason WHY does serotnin affect suicidal behavior ( if it does) or WHY doesnt it, if it doesnt what does?. Something like that?

Another intresting topic I came up with: I mean I haven't studied crimnology yet but I wanna do something analyzing the minds of a rapist's. Don't you think they would have a little bit of humanity to not harass women? then why are we facing with so many rape cases, atleast in my country. So well I am going to ask my teacher, any suggestions on this idea, most welcome.