TOK presentation topic help. Altruism or pillow angel ethics?

dennis123

I have been wondering which topic to do as my presentation which i have in less than a week. i found these two topics to be pretty nice and what i can talk about. if you guys could help me with KI or real life situation or how to go about my presentation it would help me greatly. thanks a ton!!! :D

Edited by Sandwich
Please don't use chatspeak.

I have been wondering which topic to do as my presentation which i have in less than a week. i found these two topics to be pretty nice and what i can talk about. if u guys could help me with KI or real life situation or how to go about my presentation it would help me greatly. thanks a ton!!! :D

Hi,

Getting Started

There are two main ways to get yourself started.

1. is to find a real life situation which really interests you. You will extract one knowledge issue from it and simplify it to make it into your main knowledge issue your presentation will be based on. From there you find sub-knowledge issues and more real life scenarios to support your claims and counter claims.
  2. is to think of a broad knowledge issue, derive sub-knowledge issues which you wish to explore and find real life situations from there.

There are many ways to do your presentation. It can be a simple lecture, a power point presentation, (if your are in pairs) a dialogue, a role play ect.

The entire presentation should be like a verbal essay, with a focused introduction introducing the main issues, your methodology and how the presentation is structured. A claim should be given first, evidence to support the claim, then the limitations of the claim or a counter claim. The conclusion should sum up the main points in the presentation, it is an opportunity to give your opinion (great for scoring marks on the Knower’s Perspective criteria).

The danger of method 1 is of course that your presentation becomes a presentation on the chosen topic rather than the ToK content of the topic. Most students, if given the Pillow Angel real life situation, would go down the path of giving a presentation on whether something was 'ethical' as opposed to a presentation on how we determine whether something is ethical.

Try starting off with some fundamental ideas and start adding WoKs or AoKs to them. 'How can we use reason and emotion to set a basis for 'human rights'?' for example would be an acceptable KI to fit these real life situations into.

• Like 1

thank you soo much for the help! yes i've been really trying to find KI's and relate it to the topic i chose which is "saviour siblings" . If anything at all pops up in your mind about this topic feel free to comment :D thanks a lot. and i have tried connecting to to WOK and AOK. religion ethics emotions are the ones i could connect it to, any other suggestions?

Edited by Sandwich
Please type out words in full, do not use chatspeak. Thanks.

thank you soo much for the help! yes iv been really trying to find KI's and relate it to the topic i chose which is "saviour siblings" . If anything at all pops up in ur mind about this topic feel free to comment :D thanks a lot. and i have tried connecting to to WOK and AOK. religion ethics emotions are the ones i could connect it to, any other suggestions?

The most effective way of planning the presentation is to get your main Knowledge Issue down on paper first - make sure that the ToK scope is narrow but the context is broad e.g. the KI example I gave above was purely restricted to exploring two WoKs, emotion and reason, but the context was a broad one regarding 'human rights' which there are virtually an infinite number of real life examples you could bring in.

Once you have your main KI down it will be a lot easier to shape your presentation as the claims and counter claims (the answers to the KI) will come naturally.