How do you stay motivated in IB?

Steven M.

I'm having difficulty staying motivated to do the big workloads that teachers give us. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stay motivated and not stressed? I have been able to do the work, but as time passes, it starts piling up. I'm not very good at English/Language Arts and the essays and such pile up quite a bit. Anything would be helpful, and I'm willing to try anything logical!

something logical here:

ok, if you wanted to achieve IB Diploma, you will need to be honest with your self...

i.e. do not pretend that you are listening when teachers are giving lecture..

that is one of thing..

secondly: do homework and at the same time believe in your self.

Believing that you are going to make it.. thats motivation..

at last: It is hard to stay focus, i know. I have been in the same situation.

But now, i´m able to focus more because i started working with school work.

let´s say man: once you started working and having you mind there, believe me, you will feel that you are focusing..

Good luck

I'm having difficulty staying motivated to do the big workloads that teachers give us. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stay motivated and not stressed? I have been able to do the work, but as time passes, it starts piling up. I'm not very good at English/Language Arts and the essays and such pile up quite a bit. Anything would be helpful, and I'm willing to try anything logical!

Tips on staying motivated : - Look forward to getting that IB diploma in your hands.

- Plan something during the weekend (even if its just for one day or night/week) & work hard so you can

enjoy a nice day/night out :) (I used to do this a lot and it really kept me motivated)

- If you organise yourself? You'll automatically be motivated :) Making a small time table and allocating

certain times to a certain subject will really help you. For example, set maybe 2 hours for essay writing

and at the end of those 2 hours, reward yourself (in any way you see fit) And that should keep you

motivated enough for those 2 hours to focus.

- Try not to stress out. If you're stressing you'll probably nap instead of working. (Happened to me many

time, its not very pretty when you have to actually get down and dirty with the work that has piled up)

- SLEEP (I know, quite difficult cause its IB) If you're organised you'll get lots of sleep which =

motivation.

Exercise is a great stress reliever btw...so if you're feeling quite stressed out on a particular day? Hit the gym for a while :) It will help you clear your mind as well.

These are just a few of my tips, stuff I tried to do. Some worked for me, some didn't. But hey, what didn't work for me might work for you :)

Good Luck and keep your head high! :)

This whole idea of motivation is quite interesting. (I might update my time management post with this so if you see it again, that's why)

To get to the point, I don't think you're suffering from a lack of motivation but lack of discipline. That's because motivation is quite easy to obtain but at the end of the day, it 'runs out' really quickly.

How many times have you been 'motivated' to do something like go to the gym or read regularly? You get the sudden energy boost or the determination to do it? Then what happens? You either never really begin at all, or it lasts for a week (if that). If you want to get motivated to do work, think of the results you want, or the university you want to go to, or even find a motivational story of someone conquering adversity.

To me, these things are really simple to do. And sadly, not many people care to make the distinction between motivation and discipline. It results in a lot of people thinking that they're really unmotivated when really, they have little self control and procrastinate 'til their hearts content (or they are overwhelmed with sadness because they haven't done any work). However, that's enough with the background. I'll tell you how I think you can improve it.

• Create a to do list (with only a couple of things on it. Such as 'complete English essay' or 'organise history notes') then start with one task at a time. Break up your working periods to 25 minutes with a 5 minute break at the end, then repeat.
    • Linking closely to this (this should probably be the main bullet point but oh well, I'm revolutionary) set goals. Specific ones too. Nothing like 'get a 6 in chemistry' or 'get fit'. They're too vague. They try to do too much and end up doing nothing. 'get a 6 in chemistry' might translate to 'get over 70% in an organic chemistry paper' or 'write a letter to Award Winning Boss and tell him why he's the best'. Something like that. They have a clear goal and they're harder to lie to yourself about. Set deadlines if you feel they're necessary (I recommend them)

• Arrowhead (a user here) recommended to have a set time period that you dedicate to working (usually something like 6 - 9pm) and you'll get through a lot of work that way. If you're consistent with it then you won't find yourself needing to be motivated for every task you do! It becomes a normal thing and you'll benefit from it more than having random highs and lows.
  • Focusing on a task usually means you can do it much quicker than if you're always multi tasking (which is true. We're dreadful at multi tasking demanding tasks. We just think we're good at it because we do it a lot). So try to remove your distractions like really loud music (
    )

I'm going to stop writing for now. This probably isn't what you were expecting, but I hope it's helpful nonetheless.

Have fun with the IB, friend.

• Like 3

I'm suffering through this disease severely. What i think which i still haven't done ironically is to plan out manageable objectives really, every single hour every day...

Plan, Plan, Plan and stick with it...

You don't need any motivation, in other words, no one can help you but yourself and you should realize that NOW!

Spend time creating a calendar with enough space for each block representing a day where you can write down goals. Cut Down your goals into some achievable, meaning you shouldn't have something like "Spend 2 hours on Physics" but rather "Do question 1, 2 and 3 on ..."

• 5 months later...