Sign in to follow this  

ToK Presentation - How do we know that war isn't orchestrated?

Is that an acceptable topic?

I could mention the sinking of Lusitania, attack on Pearl Harbor, Gulf of Tonkin, 9/11.

AoK - History, Human Sciences

WoK - Logic, Language

It's a presentation on whether we know the truth as to why these things happened or if they could be conspiracies (we may not know the truth). I almost want to shift it towards propaganda instead but I don't know how I would title it.

Also the topic needs to have the background of something contemporary so I don't know if this is fully appropriate.

Opinions?

I like it but what is your knowledege issue?

How do we know the justifications we're told for going to war are true?

A slightly better way of approaching it might be "how do we decide when to go to war?". Then you can discuss all of the different aspects of how we make that decision and to what extent we can trust each way of knowing to help us come to a good conclusion. Otherwise you just discuss particular examples of times when we may have gone to war on a faulty basis without looking at the overall picture.

I like it but what is your knowledege issue?

How do we know the justifications we're told for going to war are true?

A slightly better way of approaching it might be "how do we decide when to go to war?". Then you can discuss all of the different aspects of how we make that decision and to what extent we can trust each way of knowing to help us come to a good conclusion. Otherwise you just discuss particular examples of times when we may have gone to war on a faulty basis without looking at the overall picture.

But what I am trying to argue is that the knowledge we are told for why we are going to war by authority figures (WoK) can be lies and I am challenging those justifications. I wanted to support my claim by using historical knowledge and inductive reasoning to show off a pattern that what we're told aren't always true.

Examples being Gulf of Tonkin, Roosevelt's (provoking) "neutrality", and the Lusitania ("being liable to attack"); I am able to explain how each incident would lead to the US recieving money. I am arguing that (logically) money is the true reason we go to war and working my way up to why we went to war in Iraq.