Math HL or SL?

Rahul

Hey everyone,

I've got a pretty big decision to make within the next few weeks regarding which level of IB Mathematics to take. I only have the options of SL or HL - no further maths or studies is offered at my school - and the decision I make is final; If I go into HL and find it too difficult or take SL and find it too easy I cannot switch to the other. If I were to take SL, I would have 3 more semesters of math in high school and end math at the end of 11th grade; taking HL, I would have 4 more semesters and end at November 2012. Grades aren't that major of a concern for me - on our transcripts for universities, our marks are standardized (for HL , they are routinely standardized about 35%), and as I am a certificate student, I'm not concerned about diploma points whatsoever.

A couple other things that might affect my descision are both that I'd consider myself to be a talented math student - I learn rather quickly and am able to work intuitively (I found I was able to complete the majority of the Shadow Functions IA with but a basic knowledge of cubics and no knowledge of how to solve them in under an hour; of course, this is excluding the writing up of the report, which makes up the majority of the time investment into the IA afaik), and that the HL mathematics teacher at our school is by far the best teacher in the school, whereas it would be a crapshoot as to which SL math teacher I would get. However, HL exam questions I find rather intimidating, and I fear that I would not be able to perform up to my standards in tests for the subject.

Thanks a lot for any help,

Rahul

Edited by RahulArora

Take into consideration what you want to study in post secondary or what careers you may be looking at in the future. If they are not math-orientated, definitely take Math SL. The sooner you make up your mind, the easier your subject choice will be. While this is being said though, please don't make a misinformed decision and I am by no means of rushing you :P

However, from what you've said, I think Math HL would be the way to go if you can handle it. You're in grade 10; of course you would find exam questions intimidating- but they are intended for candidates who have developed an knowledge and understanding of the entire syllabus. Things will appear easier and much more recognizable when you work up to that point. Hell, it might be a lot easier when you've actually grasped the material two or three years from now. In addition, having learned the course is a good asset and will probably do more good than harm :lol:

That's my two cents. Good luck with your decision! Also, click the "Like This" button on the bottom right hand side of a post if you think one is helpful instead of simply posting "thank you" if you haven't anything else to say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to major in something involving math like engineering or such, definitely take Math HL. I am doing Math SL, because my school does not offer HL, but I would've loved to take it, so you are very lucky to have it. If you need it do it, don't be intimidated by the questions or anything else. You said the HL teacher is amazing, so that's a great bonus!

• Like 1