Chance me please - University of British Columbia

ivancheng

I am applying to the Faculty of Food, Nutrition and Health as my first pick and Faculty of Arts as my second pick.

Now studying in the US

Predicted Grades:

Chinese A1 SL - 5

English B HL - 6

History HL - 4

Biology HL - 5

Business and Management SL - 5

Mathematics SL - 5

ToK and EE: pending

GPA: 3.98/5.00

What is my chance of getting in?

Well, I study and live right here in Vancouver, and it is pretty easy to get into UBC for local students, and IB students here...they're pretty much IN UBC with a score like yours. I don't know exactly how many international students UBC takes in every year, but I guess you should try a bit harder. And seriously, it's not the best choice in Canada. There are also many other excellent universities. You could consider broadening your scope of choices a little bit. Good luck!

SFU should be pretty easy. Try UVic as well, I've been to Vancouver island, and although the living expenses there are even more expensive than in Vancouver (which is already high enough), Victoria really is a nice city. So yeah, main reason why I wouldn't suggest SFU is because of the location. SFU is in Burnaby, which is...well, let's say, not as ideal as Vancouver in terms of living. (I could be biased, though, cuz I live in Vancouver :P).

• 4 weeks later...

And how about Simon Fraser? I really wanna go to Vancouver for university. Is it harder to get in when compared to UBC?

SFU has 3 campuses located in the Lower Mainland :) regardless which campus you go to, you'll still be in *Vancouver*

UBC is more competitive to get into.. it's actually overrated to be honest lol.

You could also try UBC-O but that's like 4 hours away from Vancouver

I can't personally chance you, but someone in my school from the previous year was predicted a pretty low IB score (I think barely passing) and in the end wasn't awarded his diploma, but still managed to go to UBC - if that's any indication. Apparently UBC really like IB students...?

Wherever you apply to, good luck!

EDIT: Also, because UBC is rolling admissions it's best to apply earlier than later.

Edited by carpediem

• 1 month later...

I got an offer from UBC.. not many days ago. its practically unconditional because all i need is 24 points in my IB finals which isnt hard at all. As of now, i really dont think my PGs were above 35 and i somehow i was admitted to UBC so i suggest you apply. Just write really good essays. i think there are 6 or 7 of them (just 200 words each). not that hard. and add loads of activities. and thats that! your pgs seem to be okkk. u shudve worked harder than this :P but nevermind.. you must have 30 or more to be admitted. but try. UBC loves IB students.but i dont really know about the fac of food and nutrition.

• 2 months later...

I got an offer from UBC.. not many days ago. its practically unconditional because all i need is 24 points in my IB finals which isnt hard at all. As of now, i really dont think my PGs were above 35 and i somehow i was admitted to UBC so i suggest you apply. Just write really good essays. i think there are 6 or 7 of them (just 200 words each). not that hard. and add loads of activities. and thats that! your pgs seem to be okkk. u shudve worked harder than this tongue.png but nevermind.. you must have 30 or more to be admitted. but try. UBC loves IB students.but i dont really know about the fac of food and nutrition.

Did you get into Arts or do you have like a 38+ PG?

Because Science and Sauder this year is insane D: People with 38 are getting waitlisted for Science(Personally, I have heard of no one who has a PG of under 36 that are getting in) and Sauder ... well usually a minimum of 35.

BUT it might be due them lookin at the personal profile more this year. ORRR too many people from Vancouver are getting 40+...

R_Z: I think I'd say for this year, it's easier for international students to get in due to competition here.