Sign in to follow this  

ESS EE: analyzing secondary sources

I am writing my EE on ESS with the title of "The effect of aerial exposure on the decomposition rate of plant matter: Recommendations for yard waste policy." I am using lab experiments done by others as the major source of my data. I have only done analyses of primary lab data and now I am wondering how I should go about analyzing secondary lab data and results? Should I analyze it as if they were my own (as in listing out materials, procedures, etc)? Or should I just present the already collected data and focus on calculation of data analysis?

Edited by hklee321

You really should rely on your primary research heavily rather than on secondary data.

I think you may need to speak to your teacher and/or supervisor on this one mate. You need to talk to him/her about this secondary data. For some reason I feel as if you shouldn't really rely on other peoples data because it may be biased and to the examiner it might seem as if you were lazy to come up with your own data :/ But that's just my opinion.

You can analyse secondary sources for ESS, if the EE is purely research. That's what I and some other IBers are doing, and I've heard dozens of other IBS Members say that they have too.

You can analyse secondary sources for ESS, if the EE is purely research. That's what I and some other IBers are doing, and I've heard dozens of other IBS Members say that they have too.

I'm thinking of analyzing secondary sources whether or not I have a primary source or not, but my question is, how would my approach be? Would the approach be any different if I have primary source or not? See, I did a lab and I don't think the results were all that good for use, so I'm thinking of using secondary only. Now I am wondering whether or not to analyze the secondary sources as if they were my own like in the Bio internal assessments. What's your suggestion?