Incomplete Information Booklet for Math P1

Guest Charliebarlow

Guest Charliebarlow

Our Math HL was priviledged to be without the middle four pages of the Information Booklet, until 40 minutes later when photocopies had been made...

Is there anything that the IB can/will do about it? They've been told, apparently...

It really screwed me over; not only was it a HUGE inconvenience, but it also made me really stressed and anxious...

:-(

Actually, I didn't really use my Information Booklet for the majority of the paper. It was only 40 minutes anyway, so you could've done the questions that didn't warrant the use of an Information Booklet and then used the Booklet for the rest of the paper when you got them. I mean, you've done HL Maths for 1.5 years, so I guess one has to know some formulas...

Actually, I didn't really use my Information Booklet for the majority of the paper. It was only 40 minutes anyway, so you could've done the questions that didn't warrant the use of an Information Booklet and then used the Booklet for the rest of the paper when you got them. I mean, you've done HL Maths for 1.5 years, so I guess one has to know some formulas...

Damn, Aboo - kinda harsh. I agree that one should not need the formula booklet. However, just having it is a basic psychological security that eases angst during exams. I didn't use mine during my exam but it would've just bothered me if I had some incomplete version of something that it is mandatory for IBO examinations. Not having the formula you might have needed during the first 40 mins to solve a question is not automatically rectified just because you get the formula booklet for the remaining 80 mins. It could totally **** up your rhythm etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if your school got marked up for the incompetence of your school/teachers/IBC. If not, lodge a formal complaint if you feel you had a severe disadvantage and hope the IBO has some sort of empathetic capacity.

The IB makes so many mistakes with the exam papers!! First of all there was a mistake in the ENGLISH yes ENGLISH SL prose option and then they go and miss something off in the Maths Studies paper 1! My friend was not amused ;) Do they ever get it right? Exams have gone well so far for me so I'm not complaining but yeah this incomplete data booklet is a bit ridiculous lol...

Edited by ShiverShiva

Yes, IBO's made a bunch of mistakes in past years. When I got my Chemistry Paper 1, the first thing I did was to try and see the shadows of a Periodic Table on the inside cover of the question booklet, just in case it turns out that they forgot to include it, like they did a couple years ago ;)

• 1 month later...
Yes, IBO's made a bunch of mistakes in past years. When I got my Chemistry Paper 1, the first thing I did was to try and see the shadows of a Periodic Table on the inside cover of the question booklet, just in case it turns out that they forgot to include it, like they did a couple years ago :P

Yeah one of my elder sibs was a victim of that incident! That did not go well...

Didn't they mess up and give the May 06 History paper again during the May 07 History exam?

My mom suffered a similar fate when she did the IB... they gave her one of the "example papers" for chemistry as her actual exam, and she scored exactly 100% but they still gave her a 6. It meant she missed her Cambridge offer and had to go to King's College London instead