Considering a Literature-Based French B Extended Essay

Sarah1

I'm giving serious thought to doing a French Extended Essay (I would like to double major in French and Physics, in preparation to complete my graduate schooling in France, and we have no IB Physics teacher/class) on certain linguistic aspects of Jules Verne's Vingt Mille Lieues Sous Les Mers (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), will my lack of fluency (though I took French I and II my 9th and 10th grade years, so I'm relatively proficient) affect my ability to get an A in this subject area? I want to use/refer to the French version of the book, but I will have the English as well for any hard parts that I simply cannot understand.

If it helps, my school has only had one other person attempt a Language B EE, and she found it too hard to manage and changed subjects.

The focus of a Language B EE is the argument, and not the fancy grammatical structures you "need" to use like in your essays for Group 2. So my advice is to see what argument you can present by analysing your book - what aspect are you going to look at it? How are you going to examine it? And if your language/grammar doesn't hinder your argument when it is written in French, it shouldn't affect your mark too much since it only affects Criterion G (Use of language appropriate to the subject).

It doesn't hurt to try, and plus you want to do French at university so it would be good practice.

• Like 1