Confused about studying in the UK since I'm from Australia?

drserosa

So usually what happens is that you give the universities you want to apply to to your IB coordinator, who sends them off with your predicted grades. However, IB results for this timezone comes out earlier than when you would apply for universities in Europe if I'm not mistaken, so does anyone know exactly how this works? Thanks and much love <3

You decide on the choices to want to apply to, then sign up for UCAS (which is the place all applications go through. You can't apply directly to the university). With your UCAS application you fill in all the stuff like your personal statement, financial information etc.

If you apply through your school, you'll have a referee who oversees your application. (S)he'll need to write your reference and press send on your application. If you apply as an individual, you'll need to send it yourself (but you'll still need a teacher, or a collection of them, to write a reference).

The application cycle for university applications here begins September and ends 15th January (you can still apply after that but the universities don't need to consider your application). There is an earlier deadline for Oxford and Cambridge applicants, and for medicine and dentistry. Should you fall into that bracket, you'll need to use predicted grades. If not, you can either send it off earlier anyway, or wait until your results come out in January and apply with those.

• Like 1

Uhm, I don't know much about the whole process of applying to schools in the UK, but I have numerous friends who are applying to universities in the UK from abroad and a few have received exemptions from taking the UCAT test (I'm not sure if everyone has to take a test or just people applying to medical school) because otherwise they would need to fly to the UK just for the sake of taking the test. Just putting that out there.

Edited by Babydolleyes

Uhm, I don't know much about the whole process of applying to schools in the UK, but I have numerous friends who are applying to universities in the UK from abroad and a few have received exemptions from taking the UCAS test (I'm not sure if everyone has to take a test or just people applying to medical school) because otherwise they would need to fly to the UK just for the sake of taking the test. Just putting that out there.

Excuse me, but what on earth is UCAS test? There are various admission tests, none of them are conducted by UCAS, and the test centres are usually all around the globe (e.g. I took my LNAT, which is a test required by some Law schools, in Poland). I highly doubt there would be no test centres in Australia, and if there are not, the universities will make special accommodations to this situation. No one is gonna make anyone take a 12 or so hours flight just to take an admission test.

Pretty sure the user above meant a UKCAT test, which is required only for certain medical schools.

If you've already got your results, then you should apply with your actual grades if they come out before you send off your application (bearing in mind the application deadline is about the 15th Jan, and as said before mid-October ish for applicants to medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry (I think!) and Oxford and Cambridge universities, due to interviews). If they're not out in time for you to apply with your real grades, you'll have to do it with your predicted ones still.

People who take a gap year do the same thing, applying with grades they already have :P In fact it's awesome because it means you can be much more secure - you don't have to wait and hope to get the grades, they'll just be able to give you instant unconditional offers.

You will need to have your grades by the time you go, so you can't apply to go a year 'early', as it were. You'll have to apply to go in the September of the year you receive your results. So you get a nice long summer holiday from January-September!! :P