Shared/personal knowledge

Gaby

Good people of IB Survival, I'm coming to you for help.

I'm trying to write my TOK essay. It's an annoying task, as we all know, but that's not my problem (well, it is, but you won't help me with it).

My chosen topic is 6 ("Can we know when to trust our emotions in the pursuit of knowledge? Consider hisotry and one other Area of Knowledge)

Apart from history, I'm considering Science in context of religion. I submitted my plan ages ago and my teacher told me to add 2 more examples from each history and religion, one on shared knowledge, one on personal knowledge.

My question is: could someone tell me what shared and personal knowledge is? Cause I'm really stuck on it and googling helps little, for some reason.

Thanks.

No Gaby I will not help you at all. :P

I'm not 100% sure on this, but what I believe your teacher means by shared knowledge versus personal knowledge is that shared knowledge would be something that is available to a large number of people or common knowledge, whereas personal knowledge would be experiences, etc that have happened to you that you can apply to your TOK essay. I'd assume that for shared knowledge you would want to look up an example that's happened in the past, something you could find online or in a textbook or whatever, and for personal knowledge just think of personal examples that you could use to answer the question. :)

• Like 4