IB Visual Arts

Bindi

One thing to try to see ahead of time if you can is the teacher you'll be having. If you have a nice teacher it won't be as hard since you'll always have somebody to help you and someone who is more available than a teacher who isn't as nice. This might help you get a better grade or turn in your projects on the right deadline.

Also try to see if your friends go into art with you since then you can have their help with assignments (although do remember it must be your work - they should only help you if you really need it and only minor things).

Moreover, although it can be a demanding course, every IB course generally is so if you like art, it'll be less hard on you than if you are just choosing it because you don't know what else to do.

These are just things I got from students who chose this course, since I won't be taking any arts next year when I begin the IB.

Good luck :)

Most anything can be considered art if you asked me.

I currently take IB Visual Arts HL and that's what I've gotten out of it so far.

It's not so much as to what the art is made of, but the meaning you wish to impart with it.

Edited by iMushu

• 4 weeks later...

It is so not.

Im taking HL IB Visual arts, and it's my easiest class.

Grade: Pretty hard to not get an A, considering you like the subject, create art passionately, periodically write in your sketch book...piece of cake.

IB requirements: Honestly, I don't remember how many pieces you had to submit, but if you work consistently, you will have way over the amount they ask for.

I'm in year one and already have over 15 pieces XD and first semester just ended.

ANYTHING is considered a studio work; a sketch in your book, a crocheted flower, an origami crane, even previous pictures you have taken; Art has no limits or minimums, do whatever and it'll count. But make sure it has some value and meaning :) (which I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem doing)

Good luck!

I've heard both extremes. My only personal experience/knowledge comes from my girlfriend, who's taking HL VA, and so I know, at least at our school, it is an absurd amount of work. She's busy writing 5-10 page reports almost ALWAYS, as those accomplish most every piece of art, no matter how simple, to state intent, process, etc., etc.

However, this is very much different depending on school and teacher. As Ridapher said above, if your teacher is chill, you can literally do whatever you like about art, and just worry about your portfolio for your final IB score (which, again, is a b****. Source: Every HL VA student in my grade :P).

So in the end, it can be fun, but keep in mind it can be a very high workload class.

In the end, it will be different for everyone :D

(You can always switch :))