Visual Arts ideas

johnnykim

Hi,

I am taking currently taking visual arts HL but I started the IB very late and I have a lot to catch up especially for art. My theme was on world peace and I was trying to relate that to fashion. Another theme that I was thinking was traditions(Korean traditional art) expressed in a modern way. I really can not think of any kind of artwork that I could do for these themes. I'm not even sure whether or not these themes are ok to follow.

Could someone give me some advice for my themes and what kind of artwork I could do?

Thanks.

• Like 1

are you in year 1 or 2? because what i know is that they canceled the theme thing :P

hmmm, with world peace related to fashion, you could draw a model or something, and then have images on what they are wearing about world peace, or the lack of it, and maybe find a way to relate fashion to that?

with the traditional art, maybe you could recreate the art using 'out of the box' objects, things you would normally throw away

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

Okay so it's not important to have a theme, but its better to have one so your work is linked so each other somehow.

Since you're trying to incorporate your culture (being Korean but living in Australia) Why don't you make a mix of both? Take a look at an artist called Yinka Shonibare. He should give you a few ideas.

I'd say make a garment. It would be the best way to incorporate fashion and culture in one piece.

For example, you could make a traditional Korean dress (with a modern twist of course since its fashion we're talking about) but use aboriginal materials.

Now for Art, i suggest you look at a couple of Korean artists and brainstorm studio pieces from there. Remember: You have to plan everything in your IWB first before you make the piece. It also helps you make the piece quicker as you'll know what you'll be doing already.

I do have some advice to you though. Since you started the IB late, it would make more sense to take HL Visual Arts at SL since HL is very time-consuming and not as easy as it looks. You need a minimum of 18 pieces...you need to remember this.

Think hard about it, there may still be some time to change another subject to HL and Visual Arts to SL.

If you choose to remain with HL, you'll need to work hard and quick to catch up.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Ah! I love Korean culture and traditions! My Written Assignment is on The Sorrow of War :)

Anyways...some ideas:

-Korea has the north and south division and the political differences; maybe do a traditional oil on canvas depicting the difference based on your interpretation

-Korea has a beautiful language and a beautiful alphabet, you could simply take a Korean poem or common saying and write it in Korean; draw them out in black and play with color along the edges

-Kpop is HUGE! And they are gorgeous, beautiful, and modern performers! Take into consideration of their clothing style and like how Jaymi said, physically create it!

-I did a piece of fashion from African culture where I created a traditional headpiece, and asked a friend to model for me. I took pics and edited them so only the vibrancy of the colors of the head piece stood out; the rest being black and white.

Its endless!

• Like 1

Hi there!

Okay so it's not important to have a theme, but its better to have one so your work is linked so each other somehow.

Since you're trying to incorporate your culture (being Korean but living in Australia) Why don't you make a mix of both? Take a look at an artist called Yinka Shonibare. He should give you a few ideas.

I'd say make a garment. It would be the best way to incorporate fashion and culture in one piece.

For example, you could make a traditional Korean dress (with a modern twist of course since its fashion we're talking about) but use aboriginal materials.

Now for Art, i suggest you look at a couple of Korean artists and brainstorm studio pieces from there. Remember: You have to plan everything in your IWB first before you make the piece. It also helps you make the piece quicker as you'll know what you'll be doing already.

I do have some advice to you though. Since you started the IB late, it would make more sense to take HL Visual Arts at SL since HL is very time-consuming and not as easy as it looks. You need a minimum of 18 pieces...you need to remember this.

Think hard about it, there may still be some time to change another subject to HL and Visual Arts to SL.

If you choose to remain with HL, you'll need to work hard and quick to catch up.

Good Luck!

Hi, thanks for your help, that really helped. For the art, do you think that it will be better to look at traditional korean artworks and get my ideas from them?

Hi there!

Good Luck!

Hi, thanks for your help, that really helped. For the art, do you think that it will be better to look at traditional korean artworks and get my ideas from them?

No Problem :) Glad I could help.

Don't just focus on one aspect of Korean Art. Look at traditional, but look at modern as well. Keep in mind the techniques the artists used and from there you can really experiment with them in your IWB (IB loooooves experimentation, as much as they love culture). Maybe you could up liking a technique from the traditional art, but somehow translate it into a modern artwork or vice versa.

Here's a little tip that helped me.

Try to find inspiration from little things and expand that into a studio piece. For example, a blade of grass or the reflection of coloured glass on a wall or even the texture of bricks, could inspire you to do instillation pieces or sculptures.

Good Luck!

• 4 months later...

Culture would be a good idea. Although "traditions (Korean traditional art) expressed in a modern way" would be a good idea, try not to base yourself on only one specific theme, because this will limit you from creating various artworks. What about "Identity" or "Culture"? World peace would also definitely be useful, although try to express it in different forms, and if you must, focus on how to present it using fashion for a majority of your works.

Hope I helped!