Equilibrium and Catalysts

Guest Humaira

Guest Humaira

I have to do a Design IA on the effects of catalyst on equilibrium, I know that catalysts only reduces the energy needed for the reaction and speeds up the attainment of the equilibirum state so products are formed more quickly. The problem I am having is figuring out a chemical reaction with a catalyst to use. As well as the method to carry out such a reaction(ie when do you add the catalyst? when making the solution for the forward reaction? and after the soluton is made for the backwards reaction? )

the chemical reaction I have thought of so far is:

Cr2O72-(aq) + H2O(ℓ)--->2 CrO42-(aq) + 2 H+(aq)

thanks in advance!

Actually I don't know about the reaction you have it, but i found this one if you want

Experiment : Catalysts and reaction rates

Aim:

To determine the effect of a catalyst on the rate of a reaction

Apparatus:

Zinc granules, 0.1 M hydrochloric acid, copper pieces, one test tube and a glass beaker.

Method:

• Place a few of the zinc granules in the test tube.
  • Measure the mass of a few pieces of copper and keep them separate from the rest of the copper.
  • Add about 20 cm3 of HCl to the test tube. You will see that a gas is released. Take note of how quickly or slowly this gas is released. Write a balanced equation for the chemical reaction that takes place.
  • Now add the copper pieces to the same test tube. What happens to the rate at which the gas is produced?
  • Carefully remove the copper pieces from the test tube (do not get HCl on your hands), rinse them in water and alcohol and then weigh them again. Has the mass of the copper changed since the start of the experiment?

Results:

During the reaction, the gas that is released is hydrogen (so you are going to measure the released volume of hydrogen gas maybe by using a syringe) . The rate at which the hydrogen is produced increases when the copper pieces (the catalyst) are added. The mass of the copper does not change during the reaction.

Conclusions:

The copper acts as a catalyst during the reaction. It speeds up the rate of the reaction, but is not changed in any way itself

The equation for this reaction is: Zn(s)+2HCl(aq)→ZnCl2(aq)+H2(g)

you just need to do the forward reaction, i don't think you can do the inverse one, as you have to use H2 gas. Here is the link if you want to read more: http://cnx.org/content/m35936/latest/

I hope this will help you :)

Edited by MLI

He/she needs equilibrium. Dissolving a metal with acid is one way and one way only.

I do not know of any equilibrium reactions off the top of my head that include a catalyst, but I can tell you that you will be adding the catalyst before the 2 reactions meet. Since the catalyst does not actually react you can place it in solution A and then add solution B in so that the catalyst was there 100% of the time. Since I can't give you a reaction it's rather difficult to go any further than this. Sorry =/

Would you mind posting the topic of your IA. The wording "catalyst's effects on equilibrium" makes no sense. Catalysts have no effect on equilibrium >.<

Guest Humaira

He/she needs equilibrium. Dissolving a metal with acid is one way and one way only.

I do not know of any equilibrium reactions off the top of my head that include a catalyst, but I can tell you that you will be adding the catalyst before the 2 reactions meet. Since the catalyst does not actually react you can place it in solution A and then add solution B in so that the catalyst was there 100% of the time. Since I can't give you a reaction it's rather difficult to go any further than this. Sorry =/

Would you mind posting the topic of your IA. The wording "catalyst's effects on equilibrium" makes no sense. Catalysts have no effect on equilibrium >.<

this is the topic

investigate/explore the effect of catalysts on the equilibrium of a reaction

Edited by Humaira

Guest Humaira

this is the topic

p.s. its a she :P

Guest Humaira

this is the topic

p.s. its a she :P

and also i cant ask my teacher because we are in our lst week of holiday and the assignment is due the day we come back :/