Chemistry IA question.

SeniorStatus14

I'm writing up my first Chemistry IA. The lab was a design lab on the rates of reactions.

I combined different concentrations of magnesium to the same concentration of HCL and measured the gas produced.

My problem is, even though I could see a lot of gas being produced, the force of the gas wasn't strong enough to move the gas syringe.

Will this result in poor marks on my IA for not getting any results??? My teacher is very new to IB but says that IB is only looking at my method and

for changes I think I should make if I were to repeat the experiment. Is that true? Or will I receive a bad mark?

Are there different concentrations of Mg? Or do you mean different masses/sizes? And did you try to push the plunger by your hand just a little bit to make sure it's not sticking? I had kind of the same problem, I changed the syringe several times, sometimes it did work, a lot did not; because of this I changed the whole experiment. Because this is your first chemistry IA, you might stick with what you have and do it for practicing, one good point maybe in your IA is the evaluation, because a lot of your trials didn't work as they should be, therefore you have a lot to discuss why?.

Edited by MLI

Different masses, sorry I get the two mixed up sometimes. I switched syringes 3X, because the first 2 were broken,. My teacher thinks it might not have been a strong enough reaction. Sadly we did this experiment right before break so that the write up would be due the day we return so there was no time to do another experiment. Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...

ummm, well, you're actually supposed to have literature sources in your IAs, which is pretty much using different resources for you background info, conclusion, etc.

when you do this, you actually need to compare your results with other similar experiments done by other people, as well as theoretical values...
and the fact that you're doing rate of reactions means that you won't have theoretical values in the first place, and that puts you at a disadvantage.

if you don't have proper results, you won't even be able to compare your results with other experiments... and that component is huge in your IA.

also, when explaining why you didn't get the results you needed, be careful that you don't say things like "I didn't have enough time", because that just tells the marker that your plan and design was of poor quality, and was not thought through properly.

this response may not have been early enough for your first IA, but I think it would help to keep the above in mind for your 2nd one :)

• 4 weeks later...