IOP Help

Roselian

So I've had QUITE a few weeks now to prepare my IOP, but now I only have one more free week to write it in - and I'm still stuck with just my vague topic.

I'm doing my IOP on Frankenstein, and I'd like to explore the concept of Eve in the tale - especially as related to Mary Shelley's feminist background.

I'm re-reading the text and picking out quotes, but I feel woefully under equipped, and unsure of how to write my IOP. Any helpful ideas on the topic?

What do you mean by the concept of "Eve?" I did my IOP on Frankenstein as well back in the day.

By "Eve" do you mean an "Adam & Eve" kinda look at things and how the monster is the Adam of his kind and he is in desperate need of companionship with an Eve of sorts, which he tries to coerce Viktor to create for him? Because that's the only understanding that popped into my head.

You'd probably get more help/responses if you explained what you were going to present because it seems quite elusive (at least to me) at the moment.

Thanks for replying! My topic IS a bit vague: here's what I wrote (I had to hurry this off to my teacher so I deliberately made it a 'wider' topic so that I could narrow it down later)

I have decided to do my IOP on our second text, the novel Frankenstein. My presentation will most likely be done in an informative speech style. In my IOP I would like to explore the concept of “Eve in Frankenstein”, or “Frankenstein’s Eve”. Frankenstein is filled with references to Genesis and biblical tales, majorly referencing Paradise Lost, and I am extremely interested in how this related to Mary Shelley’s feminist background, and how she handles women in the novel Frankenstein, particularly the female creature. Themes of creation are handled in Frankenstein, and the creature refers to himself as Adam – what, then, of Eve?

Basically so far my idea is to examine how Eve is represented in "Frankenstein" - mainly, as the female creature, Elizabeth, and perhaps Victor himself, and what these portrayals mean. For example, the female creature is the most obvious example of "Eve" in Frankenstein, as she's created as a companion for the creature (Adam), has the ability to mother a new race, made from spare human parts (Adam's rib) etc. However she is dismembered for her power to procreate, seen as a vehicle to produce more sin in the world - and I wanted to analyze what this means - why does Shelley kill off the deliberate example of Eve? What are the repurcussions of this in the tale, and what does this represent for Shelley? (for example Eve is killed for her power to procreate, this is an assertion of male authority, and Shelley is protesting this in her own society?)

I realize that this is sounding veeery convoluted – I’m not sure where to take it or what to do with it.