Starting Maths HL in August

Andrew

Hei, I'm currently an exchange student in Finland. I took the pre-IB and IB1 at my home school back in Mexico, but now I jave decided I will start the IB all over again from IB1 after my exchange year is over, and with all this free time I have right now I think it would be pretty smart to start studying in advance some topics, or reading some books, I actually purchased the Pearsons Baccalaureate 2012 study guide, and have already started the first chapter. Plus, I still need to pass the entrance exam in April, which comprehends English, Finnish and Maths, as far as I know, so I need to start studying maths anyway.

I was taking math studies, so this will be a big leap, I know. So, please, based on your experience, what shouöd I start doing like right away? And probably, some books/software, etc. ?

Edited by Juho Andrew

Start to fully understand the syllabus. Also, if you can, buy the books that are published with cooperation with the IB. For example, the Oxford Coursebook. Let me tell you that from Mathemtical Studies to Mathematics HL there is a huge difference. Obviously, the topics are more difficult as well as the hours required to fulfill the topics. Good luck :).

Edited by sergio2339

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Maths HL is challenging if you can't grasp and understand concepts quickly, it's sort of like Physics that way.

How did you experience Maths Studies? That will determine how well you do in HL, because it is a HUGE jump.

My advice would be to, if possible, start with four HL classes if possible, and then you can quit HL maths if it's too challenging without having to catch up on another HL class.

Also, you should search for "math hl textbook" the first result may or may not be related ;)

Good luck with your IB!

• kw0573 locked this topic