History IA help (about 9/11)

IBmercedia

Hi guys!

So I wanted to start my IA today, and I want to do it about the 9/11 Attacks.

I really want to investigate what role the media played in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks (press coverage of US compared to other media coverages, which are very different, since the U.S one could be seen as very manipulative/bias. given a certain frame work)

I would like to discuss these things in my IA, however I am not sure about how to form my research question;

What role did the media play in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks?

Is this too broad? Does anyone have some suggestions...

thank youu..

I'm not sure if this is permitted since the history course specifies pre-2000 as 'history'. I'd check with your teacher or wait for some more informed people to advise you.

I thought the rule was that as long as the event was 10 years ago, it counted as history. It has been 10+ years since 9/11 at this point. But I would still check with your History teacher and IB coordinator just to be sure, OP.
What role did the media play in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks?
You're right in worrying that your question is too broad, because it is. You can narrow it down by trying to focus on particular factors or aspects in the aftermath of 9/11. You can start by choosing the "role" the media played as follows:

"To what extent did the American media become propaganda against Islamic countries in the aftermath of 9/11?" ...for example.

Then you can focus on one particular media channel or news outlet and its effect:

"To what extent did the American news channel, CNN, become proaganda against Islamic countries in the aftermath of 9/11?"...for example.

You see the process here? Start narrowing like this and you will arrive at your ideal RQ soon.

• Like 1

I have asked my History teacher, and since it's more than years ago, the topic is fine :) 2001 > 2012 , see? :)

Thank you.. but what if I want to focus on how the media coverage about terrorism changed the tone, that it even helped in Bush's administration, and the polarization which led to war.. so i will mainly focus on how it's reported (language, tone used ect. ) should I include this in my RQ?

I have asked my History teacher, and since it's more than years ago, the topic is fine :) 2001 > 2012 , see? :)

Thank you.. but what if I want to focus on how the media coverage about terrorism changed the tone, that it even helped in Bush's administration, and the polarization which led to war.. so i will mainly focus on how it's reported (language, tone used ect. ) should I include this in my RQ?

In that case it doesn't really sound like much of a history EE, it seems more English if you're analysing tone and language and other, more literary, shifts and devices.

Yeah your right...

I think this would be better than??

What is the significance of American media coverage compared to the other press coverages in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, and to what extent did it contributed to the George Bush administration?

(polarization> george bush used it as a justification for war?)

Yeah your right...

I think this would be better than??

What is the significance of American media coverage compared to the other press coverages in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, and to what extent did it contributed to the George Bush administration?

(polarization> george bush used it as a justification for war?)

Yeah but "significance" is too broad a term here and it doesn't elucidate the scope of your research to any extent. What kind of significance are looking for?

Hmm never mind actually I really like the one you suggested;

To what extent did the American media become propaganda against Islamic countries in the aftermath of 9/11?

Just have difficulties in answering to what extent questions :(

Then maybe you shouldn't answer this question since it is poorly structured and still too broad? It was meant to be a crude example to help you narrow and focus yourself.

Honestly, it sounds as though you have very little idea what you'd like to do. I suggest you do a little bit of light reading into the general area of history in terms of news coverage etc. in this field and then come to a more informed decision of what your EE should be. At the moment, you are coming across as indecisive and lost.

I know, and actually I am. I finished my EE just a day and somewhere next week is my History IA due. I am kind of stressed, and the only thing I was sure of was that I wanted to do it about the 9/11 attacks. I always find it hard thought to make a narrowed down question. But your right, I should first see what I am really interested in. I am actually very interested in to what extent it became propoganda against Islamic countries, since my EE also had to do with Islam in the Netherlands and the current debate which we face.

Would you suggest that in this case, if i want to elaborate on this question I should investigate a specifc news channel, and its publications?

Would you suggest that in this case, if i want to elaborate on this question I should investigate a specifc news channel, and its publications?

Yes that would probably be best. A major media news channel might be the course so that you have a lot of past and present coverages to compare, but make sure you don't stray into the area of English EE's analyses, there's a very high likelihood that that might happen since you're examining the coverages in specific detail as opposed to their effects or causative sources.

It might also help if you narrowed down from Islamic countries to maybe one or two countries (Afghanistan and Iraq?) or maybe a general region (Middle East?).