Studying Abroad in US

WorkingHard

Hey fellow Survivors,

I wish to study medicine in America, however, i am unaccustomed to what they require. I searched many top Universities in the US, and they all seemed to need a HL in Chemistry (compulsory) and HL in either Bio, Phy or Maths.

Here are the Subjects that i have applied for the coming exam (November, I'm Aussie):

HL Geography

HL Music

HL Chemistry

SL Maths

SL English

SL Chinese

With these subjects, what American University can i get into? Also, are the prerequisites final or are they just a guide?

Thank you for your help all!

Evan

The subjects are specified as being either prerequisite conditions, or mere suggestions. You have to read the website carefully. If they don't explicitly say that the HL Chemistry+HL Science/Maths is a suggestion, then you can assume that it is a prerequisite.

However, as far as I am aware, Medicine in America is a post-graduate course, you cannot study medicine immediately after the IB. You should probably look into that when doing your research.

• Like 2

However, as far as I am aware, Medicine in America is a post-graduate course, you cannot study medicine immediately after the IB. You should probably look into that when doing your research.

You're correct, medicine is a post-graduate course in the States. You need to do an undergraduate degree first (something connected to medicine, or even a specific pre-med major, I'm not sure if it's specifically required, though), and then apply to med school. You can't apply to med schools in the USA straight after high school.

• Like 2

Once out of high school, a student can apply for undergraduate school, which lasts 4 years (although that varies depending on the credit that is valid from high school). During this time period, you can major in anything... it does not have to even be related to medicine, but it is probably in your best interest to study something related to your future field. Apply to a graduate school offering a medical program, stay for however many years (depends on the area of medicine), and then do your residency at a hospital for about 2 years.

Although to get into some pre-med programs that steer you on to the right track for med school, some schools might require high school courses in chem, bio, math, or physics.

Edited by IBidiot
  • Like 1

During this time period, you can major in anything... it does not have to even be related to medicine, but it is probably in your best interest to study something related to your future field.

Just clarifying how this works: you may not have majored in something related to medicine, but you have the requirements to go for a medical course. For example I could theoretically major in history, but have enough biology/chemistry/whatever-is-required credits to go for medicine, even if it's not enough it to be qualified as a major.

It's similar to how in the UK you can get a history degree and still go for law, I guess.

I recommend that you stay in Australia - the 5 year program at the University of Queensland is very attractive.

Here are the reasons why you should not go to med school in the states:

1. It will take 8 years + residency for you to become a doctor

2. medical admission rates for international students are extremely low

3. there is not a lot of scholarships/financial aid for med school in general, so you will leave with around a quarter of a million USD debt

4. you might have to do another year in Australia if you wish to practise in Australia with a US medical degree