Maths Paper 1 (MAY08)

Guest julz_90

Guest julz_90

hey

hope everybody is doing well with the exams >.<

is there anyone who did maths HL? how did you find paper 1?

I think I did quite well, but I am not sure how accurate the answers must be. maybe I showed too little of my working... :( well, we'll see in july :lol:

now I'm a bit nervous about paper 3...

good luck to everyone!!!!

Most of you must be TZ1, so it's kinda reassuring that even TZ2 had a hard paper, so we can now all protest in Geneva, under the auspices of Deus to lower the grade boundaries and give us all, some 7s.

Guest The X

Morning!

TZ2 here, and I found that Paper 1 went really well! Really happy with it.

Paper 2 didn't go as well, but not hopeless. It's one of the harder ones that I've had a go at.

that test was brutal. My class bombed it. There was crap we hadn't learned on it. One kid wrote two of the funniest answers on his test. For the interquartile range question he wrote "well I was never taught this topic but if I had been I probably would have got this right so you should just give me the 4 points." and for the last one on the soufflé he wrote "suffle...yum" All jokes aside that test is probably going to keep me from getting the diploma...

Guest iber2468

I think I'm barely hanging on to a 6 (then p2 came along... grrr!). But I tried to write something for every one of them so I should fill up on method marks.

It was definitely easier than I expected. Though the fact i was freaking out before it might say something about my expectation...

QUESTION TIME!

Section A

1. Complex number/de Moivre's theorem - put in form of b/a or something?

2. Matrix - Find k for which the matrix is singular, so the determinant is zero, solve backwards

3. Sequence - a pie is cut into 12 pieces, the pieces are in sequence in terms of angle with the largest piece having double the area of the smallest piece, find the angle of the smallest piece.

4. Prove trig identities - sub 2sinxcosx for sin2x

5. Functions - a) find g(f(x)) b) find the domain of h'(x) if h('x) equals blah blah blah c) find h'(x)

8. a) Probability density function, and b) interquartile ranges (fudge! blanked out for this one)

9. Integrating something like (lnx/x)^2

Section B

1. Vectors - long winded question, planes, angles, lines, the mix!

Man... I'm losing my memory ><

Edited by Crystal

TZ1: I spoke to my teacher about it, and she thought the question themselves were ok (CRAP!), but that they took a long time to workout, thus not leaving enough time for the student to finish all the questions of the second part. So, she's writing a letter to IB saying that they should've shortened the paper! Anyone else hoping for a boost???

I think I maybe answered 1/2 of the questions, and half of what I answered was total BS. Probably every time I have a nightmare for the rest of my life it will be of having to take that test again! ;)

Oh well. Hopefully my other scores will make up for it and I can still get the diploma!