37 IB points options UK?

lbkaisas

Hello,

so I received my IB diploma in 2012. At that point I held conditional offers from Uni of Leeds and SOAS. However, I only received 35 points, which was about 3 points below my conditional offers. Thus, they withdrew their offers.

I have re-taken 3 subjects in november increasing my score to 37 points with 18 points in my HLs (not that much of an improvement..i know) and a lowest score of 4 in math SL. Unfortunately, most Universities I'm prepared to pay 9000 pounds a year for require 38 points with 6/6/6 in all HLs eg. Kings college or SOAS.

I'm planning to study something along the lines of politics or international relations preferably in combination with chinese, but not necessarily. (I have somewhat given up on courses involving economics due to my 4 in math SL)

I'm also considering applying to Canada and the US, so I'm writing SAT1 this month and my SAT2 scores in World history and Biology M are 730 and 720, respectively. Plus, I speak/write Chinese on a HSK level 4.

I don't know if these scores are of any relevance in a UCAS application, but I thought I'd share them anyway.

Now, I have heard of many students who scored below their conditional offers and were still accepted including a student at Oxford (who was admitted with 36 points!!). Therefore, I'm wondering if I could still apply with 37 points having the 6/6/6 in HLs or would I stand no chance, because of retakes and my lack of one point?

Also, what other options do I have? I noticed Durham and Warwick actually give offers for politics to students with 36-38 points. However, despite some online rankings I don't really know how good these two universities are. Are they comparable to places like SOAS or Kings?(please excuse my ignorance, but I have never met anyone who goes there).

Any form of help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by lbkaisas

If you apply predicted above and miss the grades they may let you in, but it's not really a good idea to apply when you're below their requirements, but maybe not the worst idea to try it for either King's or soas then apply to four others which you meet. Durham and Warwick are both excellent universities.

• Like 1

Durham and Warwick are pretty amazing universities and you'd be lucky if you got into either. They don't have the kind of international recognition as Oxbridge (obviously), but few universities do.

I think you should apply to both King's and SOAS with your scores, also apply to Durham and Warwick, and apply to one safety choice you're guaranteed to getting into, to be on the safe. Then assess your options depending on how things worked out.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a recent info given to us by the representative of King's College London that most UK universities have lowered their IB standard to 35 points, as they have noticed that less students are enrolling in it and few are achieving high grades in the UK, KCL requires 35 points,

i also suggest considering Edinburgh, Imperial College London and Nottingham.

What are you planning on studying at undergrad? I've applied for, been accepted to and on course to attend University of Toronto in Canada for Visual Studies, but other courses such as Human Sciences require around 35 IB subject points (excluding TOK+EE) judging from posts made on the University's Facebook page. I'd assume other courses would be similar.

Although, if your preferred options are here in the UK, I'm sure you could apply with 1 or 2 points below the requirements and refer to your other skills (if you score highly on the SATs which I'm sure you will, you can add that in also), universities here do consider slightly underscoring candidates if they still have potential for success, which you clearly do.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Do you peeps think it's doable to get into Edinburgh with 37 points? I mean, some of my classmates applied with a predicted score of 36 and they weren't even considered. (and it's just one point from 37.......)

Course depending, yes. I got into Edinburgh for history (says 40) but due to a number of extenuating circumstances I got an offer of 34

Do you peeps think it's doable to get into Edinburgh with 37 points? I mean, some of my classmates applied with a predicted score of 36 and they weren't even considered. (and it's just one point from 37.......)

Course depending, yes. I got into Edinburgh for history (says 40) but due to a number of extenuating circumstances I got an offer of 34

I... need... to... know... so bad... I can't take it. Which circumstances?!

Speak of the devil. I just logged in to my results page 2 minutes ago and I got my Biology grade upraged to a shiny 5!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I love everyone.

Wow, I never thought I could get 38. I feel like I should give a speech!!! :clap::blowkiss::clap:

Speak of the devil. I just logged in to my results page 2 minutes ago and I got my Biology grade upraged to a shiny 5!!

I love everyone.

Wow, I never thought I could get 38. I feel like I should give a speech!!! :clap::blowkiss::clap:

With 38 that's the minimum for Oxford, and opens up the most competitive courses at Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

I love everyone.

With 38 that's the minimum for Oxford, and opens up the most competitive courses at Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

Your words make me happy.

I love everyone.

Durham actually ask 666 at Higher for most courses :/ But Edinburgh it's 665 generally.

I... need... to... know... so bad... I can't take it. Which circumstances?!

Neither of my parents went to university and nor did they finish school and I had a bad illness at the time of applications.

I love everyone.

Durham actually ask 666 at Higher for most courses :/ But Edinburgh it's 665 generally.

It's okay. I was thinking of applying to Scotland anyways, so England is not an option (at least right now). :) Nevertheless, I'm glad the option exists. I know it's difficult to get in even with 38 but daaamn that one point can make a difference.

• Like 1

I love everyone.

It's okay. I was thinking of applying to Scotland anyways, so England is not an option (at least right now). :) Nevertheless, I'm glad the option exists. I know it's difficult to get in even with 38 but daaamn that one point can make a difference.

Yeah apply to St. Andrews! It's where the pardys at! And they don't have HL requirements :D

• Like 1