FOOD menu in the canteen and its relationship with sales- math IA help

deliriuma

hey! so i was thinking of basing my math IA on the popularity of food in the canteen on different days of the week and making a conclusion on which day has the best sales.... im not sure if this has enough research material to build on :/... HELP please!!!! :)

So you're supposed to design your own IA as well? where will you get the data from?

I would perhaps extend the time period to be a month or more if that fits your schedule. Otherwise, you cannot tell if that week was a special one or not. This of course depends on the variety of food and the amount of students there are, as well as how much work you want to spend on the IA.

In order to evaluate the variables' independence (by doing the chi-squared test, for instance), you will need to have a huge amount of raw data nonetheless.

Maybe you could provide some information about what you are planning to do with the raw data you collect?

So you're supposed to design your own IA as well? where will you get the data from?

Maths Studies IAs need to be designed by the students, yes.

Shad0wboss asks a very relevant question, though: Where are you getting your data from? Are you going to stand in the canteen and count, or do they have some statistics on this very topic already?

Edited by alefal

i do not think you should go with that, because the food choices will give you to many variables.

or if you really want to stick with it you should consider thinking along food groups instead and use the groups as variables.

but i would instead consider finding out which day of the week is the most popular day to eat on.

bur from experience i would advice you to do a two variable statistics project. mine was titled "what is the relationship between female literacy rates and fertility rates around the world?". I chose this because I knew there would be a correlation and IBO accept raw data collected online which has not been processed in any other way than that the numbers were put online. Try using gapminder.org it is a statistical webpage with statistics from all around the world.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...