Do you prefer to work alone or in Groups?

Arrowhead

Assignment approaches  

88 members have voted

1. 1. If given the choice, do you prefer to work alone, or in a group?

• I prefer to work on my own and HATE working with others
    • I prefer to work on my own in general, but I can get by easily working with others...within reason
    • Either setting (alone or group) works for me.
    • I prefer to work in a group in general, but I can and do work alone when I have to
    • I prefer to work in a group, and HATE working on my own!

Basically what the poll asks and why?

I'm curious (and bored atm). I personally always prefer to work alone and hate working in groups. It's generally because I feel I could get the task done much faster (and better) on my own (which is rarely true). but my work is my own and I hate having to answer someone else and be responsive to them, when I know I can get my sh!t done. Furthermore, I find it incredibly awkward expecting others to keep updating me/the rest of the group, or worse yet, when they're a useless member of the group...it frickin' gets on my nerves like you wouldn't believe.

What about you?

Edited by Arrowhead

I totally agree with you guys, working alone is the best and safest choice (at least for me). I made the not so smart decision of doing my TOK presentation with a group and we are barely getting anything done... When you work alone you know what you need to do and not have to rely on others.

Honestly, I really, really enjoy working in a good group where everyone can put out good material and it just has to be proofread all around. I find though however that group work usually doesn't turn out that way, usually ends up with the majority of the burden placed on me, and I end up having to pretty much rewrite everything, It's nice to have a different perspective and different ideas on things; just, often times, the burden outweighs the benefits.

Prior to IB I hated group work because I was one of the smarter/harder working kids and therefore ended up doing most of the work. In IB though, there are more smart and hardworking kids so I don't mind group work as much because the work load is shared around more evenly. I'd rather work alone though because you don't have to make compromises and I work much better alone and in silence.

I'd say it very much depends on who you are working with and what you are doing. I've worked in groups where the whole thing was a massive struggle trying to co-ordinate things, having to do the work of other people for them etc., and at the end I may as well have worked by myself as I ended up doing most of it. On the other hand, I've been in similar groups where the fact that I've had to co-ordinate things means I can dish the nastiest tasks (for me XD) out to other people, which was actually a bonus... for instance giving somebody good at maths the mathematical component of the project meant I didn't have to bother understanding any of that bit, which would have been murderous for me. For academic work, I find that working as a group is generally a bit dysfunctional one way or another, but you can get a benefit from playing to various strengths and weaknesses. However if the nature of the task is such that you could easily do it yourself, then group work can be a hinderance as a task which was simple for you originally becomes a massively complicated logistical and political nightmare. Most 'group work' given at school really doesn't benefit from being done in a group... at all.

For more practically minded work, however, I much prefer to work in groups. You learn so much from other people, feel less pressured and if you get to know and be comfortable with your group, it can be really enjoyable. Most of what I'm doing at the moment requires working as part of a group in multiple combinations of people and it's a really great way to learn by experiencing things - and seeing how other people experience things! Things you see a fellow group-member doing well are great to emulate, and often they're things which I would never have thought of if it had just been me working alone. As an equal working towards the same goal with the same level of effort, dedication, challenges and respect for each other being part of a group = really a very nice experience :)

Personally I'd prefer working alone, since I can focus more on what I am doing, I can track my progress and don't have to worry about other people doing their job. I wouldn't mind working in a group though, if the members are cooperative enough and dedicated. I was involved in a couple of group for CAS and they were disaster!

I hate it when people don't do their job and are so slow, and they don't even feel ashamed for it. And when you get angry at them instead of feeling ashamed they shout back at you and blame you. I really had to take a lot of other people's burdens in whichever group I have been involved in. I personally don't like relying on others at all.

Group work just doesn't suit me, that's why I prefer working alone.

It really just depends for me. For presentations, I will always, always prefer working alone. I just have a knack for giving an informative, interesting, good looking and funny presentation, and I'd rather not compromise by giving anyone else even a single shred of control.

For other work, it depends. If we don't get to pick our groups then I'd prefer to work alone. If we do then it depends on the assignment. Biology labs, I usually like to work in groups. Less work for me, quite honestly. This incredibly smart kid always wants me in his group because he thinks I'm smart too. Lol joke's on him. But anyway. It turns out to be less work for me. Pulling a full lab together seems daunting.

• 5 weeks later...

When I work with other people, I usually do all the work and I hate that.

I also find other people unreliable. If I ask them to do something, I always expect the worst and my expectations have been met every time...(maybe I just have high expectations)

I also enjoy being alone so I enjoy working alone. Helps me focus.

Edited by JYC

I like working in groups, splitting up the content is less pressure. Now if its people I know I will do well with then I advocate for groups since more heads is better than one. However, they're usually random I'm assuming so alone is for me since I have more control on the content being worked on.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind working alone or in group... sure sometimes working alone means that I can get the assignment done much faster and that I get all of the credit but working in a group means that I don't have to put as much energy in the assignment and still get a good grade and that I can get help from others and also that I don't miss important points that I possibly could miss when working on my own. Working in a group means that we all can contribute with our knowledge, strength and weaknesses whilst working alone gives you the opportunity to know more about your strengths and weaknesses and gives you a chance to improve your future work.

• 5 months later...

Working alone is safe, at least. You don't have to depend on others to do the work. But, for big projects it's nice to divide up the stress work. As long as everyone pulls their weight, I don't mind, but I'm too much of a control freak to say that I enjoy working in groups.

Oh, I hate to work in groups! When I work at my own, I can do what I want and I can assure that the assignment will hold a certain quality.

Oftentimes when we're assigned in groups I get put with the slackers because the teacher know that I "will work", which results in that I have to pull all the weight and when I ask my group what they think they're all like "Ehh, whatever!"

I usually have to talk it out loud to study really effectively, so I like doing that on my own but I also find it sometimes works better when I'm working with a group and have the chance to explain theories and topics with people when we're studying. It helps me gain confidence with what I know because I'm explaining it like I would on a test.