Physics Syllabus

Thomas95

Hello,

I am doing physics higher level and our teacher always gives us a lot of work to do and most of the time it's too much. I don't mean that the exercises are hard, the are but I would expect a teacher to give a few exercises as homework but our teacher gives us a few pages full with exercises. Is this normal, do you also get a lot of homework? And then our teacher says that the information physics is very hard and we don't have enough time to do every topic in full and therefore some topics we have to learn by ourselves? I personally just can't believe that the IBO made the syllabus so hard as she tells us. We aren't many in the classroom and she always tells us that if we continue to work in that way we are working now we won't even get a level 5! My last year report was for physics quite good and my aim was to get a level 7, anything else wouldn't statisfy me because I know I can do it. I have the feeling that our teacher likes to give us that much work to disappoint us.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me what you think about the amount of work in the physics higher level course.

Thomas

Hello,

I am doing physics higher level and our teacher always gives us a lot of work to do and most of the time it's too much. I don't mean that the exercises are hard, the are but I would expect a teacher to give a few exercises as homework but our teacher gives us a few pages full with exercises. Is this normal, do you also get a lot of homework? And then our teacher says that the information physics is very hard and we don't have enough time to do every topic in full and therefore some topics we have to learn by ourselves? I personally just can't believe that the IBO made the syllabus so hard as she tells us. We aren't many in the classroom and she always tells us that if we continue to work in that way we are working now we won't even get a level 5! My last year report was for physics quite good and my aim was to get a level 7, anything else wouldn't statisfy me because I know I can do it. I have the feeling that our teacher likes to give us that much work to disappoint us.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me what you think about the amount of work in the physics higher level course.

Thomas

Taking HL physics although it's totally different for us because our teacher is pretty lazy and most of the time on medical holidays. I think Physics does have quite a number of chapters but i think the more you do, the better you become at that especially the calculations...Sure sometimes it's alot but i think you just have to get used to it, anyways what were you expecting when choosing HL physics XD

If you need any help regarding the subject, then surely we can help in that ...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

The good news is that although there is much more content to cover in Physics HL compared to SL (SL has 8 core topics, HL has the same ones plus 6 extra), it isn't really much more difficult in technical skills or deeper physics. It's just that you need to learn more things, but they're not necessarily harder.

Plus, some of the optional HL topics are pretty awesome. I love doing the Relativity one with my students, since you learn about how time travel works. How awesome is that?

-Mitch