Losing motivation :(

howerabin

Oh my, I think I'm having a similar, if less urgent, issue! I'm trying to work up the motivation to do my Geography IA (HL) as well! Though, my draft is due in about 3 months and my final is due in 5 months, but whatever. At least I've thought of my question and made a word document, and allegedly 'finished' my fieldwork.

If you're 3 days away, you shouldn't have that much left to do (ha, ideally, of course). So I'd suggest just banishing yourself to a quiet place, playing some 'motivational music', and then block every distracting website possibly. Hey, you probably don't need the internet, so just block your internet :) If you're unsure about what to type, then go to the criteria and just try and hit every descriptor. Even if it sounds rubbish, if it's due in 3 days I guess it has to be done. Try and get full marks for formal requirements (Part G?), because it seems stupid to lose marks for formatting.

I guess I should follow my own advice, but only in the perfect (impossible) world do people not procrastinate. Good luck!

Woohoo! Another Geo HL comrade!

First of all, as flin... said, get off IBS. Before you do that, try to get all of the digital material you need for your IA (Webpages, word files, pdf files and etc).

Then, if you have a laptop, try to do it outside (in a park) or in your terrace. It can be a very relaxing experience. Don't forget, a good practise is to take 10 minute breaks while you do your IA (write a short story, or something similar). A good idea would be to go to a Starbucks and discuss some ideas you have in mind with a friend (without exchanging your IAs, as that isn't permitted), so that the both of you learn equally.

Try to phone your teacher, so that he/she can give you some tips. Don't lose points on criteria G, as that would be stupid.

Good luck in your Geo IA!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Then, if you have a laptop, try to do it outside (in a park) or in your terrace.

Imagined a person from Canada going out with his/her laptop in the middle of winter...in Canada. Hahaha.

I know what you mean. But I actually waste my time instead of doing things. I have two weeks to write my IA HL Psychology, Maths SL IA, lab reports from Bio HL, TOK essay, finish and correct my EE, fake my CAS. This week I still have winter break but the next one I need to go back to school and moreover, record two orals ;_;.

There's no magic serum, prayer or supplement to get done what you have to get done. 90% of getting things done is getting started and keeping focus, the rest comes easy. Learn it now so you don't learn it the really hard way come university. i was never taught discipline so I had to do it myself... As Nike says, Just do it.

It's difficult but never lose sight of your long-term goals and where you would like to see yourself, say 10 years from now. You don't want to finish the IB and regret one small thing that could have been the difference between a 6 and a 7 in a subject.

You can do it! :) Don't get demotivated now. As said by a user above^, think about how great it'll be when you're done. Why don't you do this: start working and take breaks, say, every 45 mins and reward yourself during those breaks. And make sure you come back and start working again. Try not to stress out too much :)