Has it screwed you up!

King

Ok, The first day I had TOK, all of my classmates walked in, you know we had the personna that "we knew everything!" So we sit down and our teacher tell us to take out our homework. Our homework over the break was to bring a rock, any size-any kind, to class. Then my teachers passes out a philosophy book and delicately instructs to read the first chapter. As she slowly walks up to the front of the class to sit on her stool, we begin to read. As we read, our teacher is laughing internally as she sees our faces shrivel and turn red. The chapter is about knowledge. The book litarally says, "How do you know that a rock exists. How do we know that there isnt some mad scientist playing games in head." From that momment on, our minds were ruined. In the 50 words of the paragraph we were told that we knew NOTHING!!! Now we are all better but the first semester in TOK was truly a nightmire that I still have dreams of today.

So what and how was your first experience in hell......I mean TOK?

I loved TOK.

It was seriously the most awesome class ever. But that's because I had an amazing teacher. He's seriously the nicest guy ever, he never has anything bad to say about anyone/anything. And he's so passionate about what he does that everyone else can't help but be passionate about TOK too. We were all just enraptured by his lessons and his discussions. TOK was my favourite class that semester ;) .

I must admit that I was a little suspicious about ToK at first, I though it was very woolly and wishy-washy and just unnecessary. However, we've got a really good teacher and nowadays I really appreciate ToK, it has provided me with a more critical mind which I think is something I will benefit a lot from in the future ;)

i hate TOK!! its the most boring boring boring boring class i ever took in my life, i think it is because our teacher presents it in the most boring ways!!

And she gave us the titles for the essay topics for may 2008 instead of May 2009:S:S ....but then i found out her mistake and saved us from a disastor!!!

and our TOK class is only 4 people soo not much can be done with four people!!

i was hoping for a more interesting and fun class!!

Edited by deedoz

I loved TOK.

It was seriously the most awesome class ever. But that's because I had an amazing teacher. He's seriously the nicest guy ever, he never has anything bad to say about anyone/anything. And he's so passionate about what he does that everyone else can't help but be passionate about TOK too. We were all just enraptured by his lessons and his discussions. TOK was my favourite class that semester ;) .

Completely agree. My teacher was awesome and it was the class I looked forward to the most. I could get out my aggression by arguing and laugh my ass off at people's comments and my teacher's reactions. I seriously miss ToK and if I ever become a teacher, I hope I'll have the same pedagogy, humour and positive attitude that my teacher had.

ToK is the most valuable subject and it is only because of boring teachers that students hate ToK.

what i dont like about TOK is all the excessive philosophy and doubting our existence and everything lol, i just dont get that stuff, never have and never will =P i just dont see the point of it =P but other than that TOK is actually fun when we get to discuss very touchy subjects as a class =D

Guest iber2468

Haha that's hilarious.

I learned from TOK to always question your sources and always point out the fallacies in your opponent's argument so you never have to get to your own points :D

what i dont like about TOK is all the excessive philosophy and doubting our existence and everything lol, i just dont get that stuff, never have and never will =P i just dont see the point of it =P but other than that TOK is actually fun when we get to discuss very touchy subjects as a class =D

Obviously you don't get all that stuff because TOK is NOT about doubting your own existence. It's about questioning the knowledge that is given to you, to not blindly take what is spoonfed to you without critically thinking to yourself. You have to be able to accept the knowledge given to you upon conviction, not just because someone tells you it's true. Yes you CAN be certain about knowledge, but you just have to know why, and have come to that conclusion yourself. That is the point of TOK, it's a thinking process. NOT 'excessive philosophy and doubting our existence'.

Spoiler - Click me!

(Sorry if I sound a little short. I'm not having a great day today.)

[Close]

Ok, The first day I had TOK, all of my classmates walked in, you know we had the personna that "we knew everything!" So we sit down and our teacher tell us to take out our homework. Our homework over the break was to bring a rock, any size-any kind, to class. Then my teachers passes out a philosophy book and delicately instructs to read the first chapter. As she slowly walks up to the front of the class to sit on her stool, we begin to read. As we read, our teacher is laughing internally as she sees our faces shrivel and turn red. The chapter is about knowledge. The book litarally says, "How do you know that a rock exists. How do we know that there isnt some mad scientist playing games in head." From that momment on, our minds were ruined. In the 50 words of the paragraph we were told that we knew NOTHING!!! Now we are all better but the first semester in TOK was truly a nightmire that I still have dreams of today.

So what and how was your first experience in hell......I mean TOK?

Quite frankly I don't think your teacher knows what TOK is about if that was her first tok class for you. If you read the tok syllabus and the subject reports they hate the attitude that we know nothing. Thinking that doesn't help anyone. As people above me have said it is about questioning the sources etc of knowledge, not just dismissing it.

Guest syrianstar

Even though our ToK teacher is not that great and the activities we are doing are boring me out of my mind (worksheets, worksheets and OMG MORE WORKSHEETS!!) I still believe that ToK is a really interesting topic even though our lessons prove quite the opposite :lol:

Lol when i saw this thread I couldn't help laughing - until then I thought I was the only one who thought that ToK had ruined a little part of me :D The funny thing is it stretched to the extent that I started doubting if what some of the teachers were saying was even right, especially in lessons like chemistry and maths where we do problem solving and there is no answer at the back of the book. It nags me so much that we might be solving it wrong - and you know what? We usually are :angry: I don't know how our maths / chemistry teacher even became one :wub:

OMG yeah!!! I know officially think I only know what I THINK I know, but I may not even exist as a person so how could I even know? etc etc etc.

Our teacher is all like, "How do you know other people exist? Perhaps we are just imagining it all..."

I am terminally confused.

TOK is awesome if you take it with a grain of salt. Yeah, it's easy to get all weirded out by the ceaseless presence of doubt, but one of the underlying purposes of all this is to be able to understand issues beyond the immediate surface, and to appreciate different points of view while still having your own.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

All that "you don't know if you exist or not" is kind of like that theory in the Matrix. It comes from a philosopher (don't know their name) and it asks, "How do you know if you're awake or dreaming?"

That's what makes TOK interesting. Unfortunately, since my teacher sucks, TOK is Boredom Hell. And yes, that "you know nothing" has screwed me up.

Edited by vkfng

• 1 month later...

HAHAHAHA!! i totaly know what you mean. Man TOK has totally screwed with my head so much that I over analyse everything now. On one hand its a nuissance because it's like dude just shush up and go with the flow, while on the other hand i can totally destroy my teachers and parent's arguments now :)

So first TOK experiance..... we walk into the class room, sit down, and are asked by our slightly eccentric teacher to think about the sensation of the chair pressing against our butts, and how did we know that the chair would supprot us, how do we know that was supporting us now... and how in fact do we know that the chair even exists.

So yes, my perception of the world (and certainly my classroom chair) has deffinatly been turned around and flipped upside down so that i now have know idea what i know... and let alone if i know anything at all... for all i know (assuming i know something) i could be stuck in plato's cave only seeing the shadow's of what are being projected onto a screen in front of me.

But over all i LOVE tok. not olny is it a bludge class, but it is seriously interesting and fun to think about this type of stuff that i'd never have considered before. I mean I'm not planning to go into a career of philosophy or anything so i dont take it all that seriously, so it doesnt really bother me if im confussed, i enjoy extending my mind a little bit and thinking... hmmm and how/why do i know that.

-soph x

Edited by schouston1991

• 1 month later...

My first TOK class was full of action. I remember sitting in the very corner of the classroom with a group of my friends, only in that corner I knew everybody. When one person from our corner said something, we all raised our hands and all said something. We were ONE!!! ;) Good old times... But then some of us transferred due to time table change and etc.

I love ToK. We have the best teacher in the school and I like learning how to confuse people. Also, various ways of phrasing concepts has helped my writing, particularly for English and History. Analysing knowledge can be very helpful when you need to closely examine the axioms that particular knowledge is based on is good when you're in Maths HL and somewhat lazy. I have a suspicion that the teacher makes it fun or a nightmare.

I used to go to a Christian school when I was little. Unfortunately, didn't believe any of the "stories" they told me every morning coz of the lack of consistency. Ex: heaven=sky, but I flew international in a plane when I was 4 and there was no heaven. Therefore, heaven=/=sky. Heaven=sky =/= heaven=/=sky. I also asked some lady about this phenomenon but mom told me to shut up before I insulted something. :ninja:

Edit: SomeONE not someTHING :P

Edited by moneyfaery