Sign in to follow this  

Inequal distribution

Okay, it just very badly occured to me that there is an unequal distribution of work for my IB subjects

Theoretically the difference between HL and SL is 240 hours of work in 2 years as opposed to 150 hours of work

But if I look at the books that we need to study from and the difficulty (I believe some subjects/topics are just naturally more difficult to grasp at first) then to me it looks like my Economics HL is much easier than my Maths SL and Biology SL... which is rather worrying

How is it that some HLs require less work than some SLs? And are there any other unequal distributions of subjects that anyone found?

Well I found that Geography HL was a lot less work than any of my SL subjects, but other than that my other HLs (bio and Chem) were a lot more work than my SLs. But I think a lot people find thisd with certain subjects.

well i find that english SL is giving us way more things to do than other classes for example this weekend we have to do a written commentry, oral commentry, scrapbook, and test on sunday....so i think im overbusy with english this weekend:P

I find economics HL a lot more work than bio and math SL.

English A1 HL gives me the least amount of work while chem HL gives me the most.

It all depends on the subject and how good you are at it. I'm better at math and bio so I don't need to do as much work for them..studying time is lessened, while I find econ HL harder so I need more time to study for them.

Guest The X

I believe it has a lot to do with the teachers. A subject taught by a teacher who tests you every other week is going to feel harder than a subject with two tests each quarter.

But then again, it also depends on the pupil; If you're better at memorizing stuff than calculating and deriving things from other things, you're very likely to be better at Biology than at Physics or Chemistry.

Mmm... it feels that way, does it?

Funny, that's what all the year 12 IB economists this year are telling me. In fact, only 4 out of 20 or so year 12s are doing SL economics, because apparently the difference between HL and SL economics isn't all that big.

I'm still deciding which HLs to do... I'm considering economics, but am finding it difficult atm...

Mmm... it feels that way, does it?

Funny, that's what all the year 12 IB economists this year are telling me. In fact, only 4 out of 20 or so year 12s are doing SL economics, because apparently the difference between HL and SL economics isn't all that big.

I'm still deciding which HLs to do... I'm considering economics, but am finding it difficult atm...

You should flick through the pages of your economics book. I think only Microeconomics and especially Macroeconomics are challenging... development economics section has no graphs to learn from - W00t!

Never (unless you need it/are desperate) take a natural science at HL....EVER!

You should flick through the pages of your economics book. I think only Microeconomics and especially Macroeconomics are challenging... development economics section has no graphs to learn from - W00t!

Never (unless you need it/are desperate) take a natural science at HL....EVER!

But Mark, dev econ is basically macroeconomics that's applied... So you need the macro knowledge!

But Mark, dev econ is basically macroeconomics that's applied... So you need the macro knowledge!

Oops, I didn't know that

Are you required (as in do you get high marks) to draw graphs for development economics questions?

people find some HL subjects to be less work than their SL subjects because they are talented/gifted in those HL subjects. That's why they chose it at HL in the first place. The SL subjects seem to be more work as you are not naturally good at them.

I find all my SLs surprisingly easy and all my HLs very hard. That shows I have chosen to subjects I am good at at SL. Which was rather stupid of me. Or it might show that I'm not really good at one of those subjects...just ok at everything. IB is gay.

I think that workload has a lot to do with teachers. For example, for History HL, we have weekly assignments (sometimes an essay, sometimes a small research task) because our teacher wants us to keep up with each week's work and she reckons it will help us remember things (although I guess this is true, it does create a lot of work!!). On the other hand, in English HL (which I think is not much different from SL), we don't really get that much work. Maybe it's because I enjoy English, but if I compare it to other subjects like History it seems like a lot less work.

It also depends on which subjects are your strengths/weaknesses. Like for Maths SL I can usually finish the exercises in class so I don't need to do them for homework.

However for some subjects SL and HL are quite different. In Chemistry HL we are pretty far ahead of the SL class and so have much more work to do as well each week.

IB is gay.

Lol! I wouldn't expect a high achiever defying the system!

But yes, the longer a student is enrolled in IB the more likely he/she is to be less enthusiastic about it

Guest julz_90

one thing is certain: maths HL gives most work.... luckily I really enjoy it!!!

Oops, I didn't know that

Are you required (as in do you get high marks) to draw graphs for development economics questions?

I haven't done it yet, but im 90% sure you do usually... Sorry :P

one thing is certain: maths HL gives most work.... luckily I really enjoy it!!!

Try further math sl ;)

Guest julz_90
Try further math sl ;)

that's something I've been wondering about for a long time... what is maths studies SL and further maths SL? what is the difference to maths HL/SL?

Guest quisquis
The Further Mathematics course, offered only at the Standard Level, is the most rigorous of the Group Five courses. The course assumes knowledge of the core material of higher level course; its own core consists of all options of Mathematics HL and an additional unit of geometry. There are no options. Most students in Further Mathematics SL take it as their elective choice or as an extra subject, since the course is usually taken concurrently with Mathematics HL (unless Mathematics HL has already been completed as a certificate subject).

Maths SL and HL generally refers to what is (was?) technically called Mathematical Methods and is the 'normal' IB Maths course.

Maths Studies is the lowest level of IB Maths courses (also only offered at SL),

this course is aimed at students not requiring mathematics in their future studies. It emphasises applying mathematics to real-world situations.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Group_5_subjects