University Guide

BIO-AQUA

BIO-AQUA,

I noticed you have some of the US professional school entrance exams, i.e. LSAT, but there is one more I think you should include - the infamous MCAT:

The MCAT is an exam administered by the American Association of Medical Colleges (a division of the American Medical Assosication). It is required of almost all prospective medical school applicants who aim to seek admissions at a US or Canadeian Medical School. As of 2007, the exam is adminsitered solely as a computer-based test (CBT) with scores available within about 1 month of testing date. The exam consists of four sections: the physical sciences, PS, which tests concepts in general (or inorganic) chemistry and general physics; verbal reasoning, VR, which tests analytical reasoning; writing sample, WS, which tests thoroughness of written communication; and lastly, the biological sciences, BS, which tests general biology and organic chemistry. The PS, VR, and BS sections are scored on a scale of 1 through 15 and the WS on a letter scale ranging from J through T, all for a maximum possible score of 45T (which as far as I know, has not been achieved yet). The MCAT is generally taken during the junior year (i.e. third year) of the undergraduate curriculum, prior to applying to medical school.

• 1 month later...

Don't forget you can take the SATs as many times as you like AND you can mix and match scores (reading from one and math from the other)

Besides, some unis don't take the writing part in consideration yet because it was just recently added to the SATs.

I got a 2090, but the uni i'm planning on going will only take my 1440 from the combined reading and math.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Can't someone update the SAT test part to include some advice on when to take test, I am considering to apply to the US and realized way to late that you should preferably be done in December with all the testing. I will now do the SAT subject tests on the january test date, and the ACT on FEB 6th, which not all uni's in the US accept, although my prefered ones do, but still it limits my choices. So guys just do the tests early.

Xerox, you could do that, I too consider that to be vital information. Unfortunately none of us work full-time with IB Survival, so we're unable to write updates every time somenoe suggests it.

deissi, i can put something about when you need to take it into that sticky that i am writting for you all, so peoepl know when is the most ideal time to take it. i can put down the months, but i can't really do much more than that.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Can I send applications for UK universities at different times?

aI mean..can i send an application for oxford before 15th Oct, and then later send an application to another university like Imperial College in december? Or do we have to send all applications at once?

aI mean..can i send an application for oxford before 15th Oct, and then later send an application to another university like Imperial College in december? Or do we have to send all applications at once?

You have to send them all at the same time if you're early entry. Dude you should send it like now!

• 7 months later...
Guest Soiboist

if I want to go to UK, I have to apply through UCAS, right? when will the application for 2012 entry open? do they have early decision or such thing?

Yes, you will have to apply through UCAS. You can send in your application for 2012 from mid-September, and for Oxbridge and Medicine the deadline for applicants is 15th of October whereas it is the 15th of January 2012 for all other courses and universities. To be fairly honest I don't know much about "early decision" but I looked it up and it seems to be a typical US university policy. The universities will not be able to know what your top choice is, but if you apply before the 15th of October the universities will obviously understand that you are applying to Oxbridge as well. This may be a problem, as if the university thinks that you have a good chance of being admitted to Oxbridge they might just reject you to save themselves the trouble. Some universities are especially known for this, for instance Durhamn, and Cynthia at this forum was a subject to this if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

You apply to 5 courses, so you will also choose 5 different universities. Technically you could apply to the same university twice for two different courses, but that is rather rare I believe. Keep in mind that you'll basically be applying to the same course at different universities, for instance you won't be able to apply for Maths at one university and engineering at another. This is due to that it is really important for UK universities that you possess a great interest in the course that you're applying to, and you must reflect that through your personal statement (PS) and subject choices. Your PS will be sent to all universities with no changes, which means that if you would apply for different courses you would have to talk about both of them in the letter, and so it is recommended that you only have chosen one course for different universities.

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

5 courses for 5 different universities. :) As an example:

University of Oxford: Politics, Philosophy, Economics

University of Warwick: Politics, Philosophy, Economics

University of Durham: Politics

University of York: Politics, Philosophy, Economics

University of Edinburgh: Politics

Politics, Philosophy and Economics is an example of a joint degree, it is still a single course. Hope it makes sense.

• Like 1