University Guide

BIO-AQUA

Guest Soiboist

You attach one reference letter with maximum 4000 words or 47 lines (whichever is shorter). Even though it is only one letter several teachers can write smaller parts of it, however I think it is recommended that there is one teacher doing a major part of it in order to get a fuller picture of the student. "Mrs. McGonagall agrees and says that teaching Desy has been a true pleasure, and additionally states that she has yet to meet a person with a better aptitude for solving logical problems in Physics" is an example of an addition one could have at the end of the reference letter by another teacher.

You can find all basic information like this at ucas.com, and if you are very serious about applying I think you should visit a forum as thestudentroom and read topics about possible universities and the course that you will apply to. This will help you to get into the right type of thinking before making your application. You can also get specific help with your PS and your reference letter from experienced students.

• Like 1

Have any of you take the LNAT? And if so, how did you prepare for it?

I haven't taken it personally, but I know a few things regarding it.

Firstly, you have to understand that there are no facts to learn and no lessons to revise in preparation for the test. Instead you should concentrate on exercising the relevant parts of your brain, and on familiarising yourself with the test format.

The LNAT is a 2 and a quarter hour test in two sections.

Section A consists of 42 multiple choice questions. The questions are based on 12 argumentative passages, with 3 or 4 multiple choice questions on each. You are given 95 minutes to answer all of the questions.

For Section B, you have 40 minutes to answer one of five essay questions on a range of subjects.

So, I reckon that the best way to 'revise' for it, is by reading a quality newspaper (in English) every day, such as The Guardian or The Times. There are other newspapers which would be equally good.

This'll help you because the LNAT essay topics will not be specifically about current affairs, and you will not be judged by what facts you know. But knowing how the world works, will help you to write intelligently about a host of different topics.

• Like 2

I think you can also get a book for the LNAT - something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/LNAT-Mastering-National-Admissions-Test/dp/1845680103 - that one of my friends (who sat the LNAT) said was really useful :)

It's good to practice and get an idea of what they're interested in. I used practice books for the entrance exams I sat and having thought about that sort of thing before/being in the frame of mind is really useful. The one exam I didn't practice for at all is the one I crashed out on!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up this old (but very helpful) post. I just finished the registration for UCAS and am a bit confused on whether I should be selecting that I am applying as an individual or through my school.. As I'm taking a gap year I won't be at the school anymore, but I will still have letters of reference from that school.. Any help?

Sorry to dig up this old (but very helpful) post. I just finished the registration for UCAS and am a bit confused on whether I should be selecting that I am applying as an individual or through my school.. As I'm taking a gap year I won't be at the school anymore, but I will still have letters of reference from that school.. Any help?

Hey, I'm relatively sure you should apply as an individual as your school won't be sending all the stuff out on your behalf - you'll be sending all the stuff out. However, the best way to find out is actually to ask the UCAS people on Facebook as they provide an advice service and you can get the answers straight from the (metaphorical) horse's mouth :P

https://www.facebook.com/ucasonline