Maths Paper 2 (MAY08)

Guest julz_90

Guest julz_90

so, I believe I can now start the discussion about paper 2 (TZ2), too ;)

I found that a lot harder than paper 1. I didn't solve the last exercise (the application of differential equations) and a few others (the complex numbers and some more, I don't remember exactely...) well, I hope to get 70 % right in this paper, but dunno whether that's realistic ;)

I agree, definitely harder than Paper 1

Does anyone know how to solve question #10? (the one that julz mentioned...complex numbers, find the modulus, it was squared...)

Also, what about #9? The substitution...I wasn't sure about what I should use...

oo that's one of few questions I think I actually got ;)

I dont' remember the question exactly, but I rembmer I had to integrate tan(u), which I did by changing tan into sin(u)/cos(u).. then used integration by substitution

Don't remember what I did to get tan(u) though caus I don't remember the question ><

Edited by cixelsyD

oo that's one of few questions I think I actually got ;)

I dont' remember the question exactly, but I rembmer I had to integrate tan(u), which I did by changing tan into sin(u)/cos(u).. then used integration by substitution

Don't remember what I did to get tan(u) though caus I don't remember the question ><

As soon as anyone gets the questions, start posting them and we'll work on them. I really wanna see what the HL test was like, and by the way, you did the right substitution for tangent, although you could've just memorized the outcome which is...-ln(cos(x)) i think. So as soon as someone gets those questions please post them!

TZ1 for me. paper 2 was insane....

Since this is the first time IB did the calc/non-calc parts, would it be a sign that there will be a larger mark boundaries???

In my class, half of the morons thought paper 2 was easier than paper one.... the other half of the class, including me, cussed the **** out of them...

Guest iber2468

Oh man that was BRUTAL, totally brutal, bombed it, so much for a 6!

The specimen paper 2 was SO much easier, darn it!

So let's see what I remember (p1 and p2 might be a bit jumbled, my apologies)

Section A

1. Binomial expansion/Pascal's triangle - find the coefficient of x in ascending power (omfg at first i read it as "descending power", grr!)

2-10: don't remember

Section B

1. Poisson distribution... ewww too long

2. More complex number?

3. Spherical soufle, or was that P1?

4. Flag poles, finding the height

Edited by Crystal

• 2 weeks later...

TZ2: Somehow difficult.. It would have been better if we had some extra time.. Didn't finish this paper either! (I had a problem with time in Math in general, but I guess it's over now :) )

Compared to the rest of the class (and here too!) I found paper 2 to be somehow easier than paper one :). Maybe that was post-exam trauma or confusion :) .