Stoicism-Works in Translation topic help

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a Works in Translations topic. I have an idea but I'm really struggling to word it. By the way, I'm currently on Summer holidays and my first draft of the essay is due when I go back to school so I don't really have an opportunity to discuss my topic with my teacher.

Anyway, the work I'm doing is 'Chekhov's short stories' by Anton Chekhov and I'm looking at how the cultural value of stoicism is portrayed in a couple of the stories. Now, my issue is that I'm not entirely sure if i'm understanding 'stoicism' correctly because it is not a term I'm all that familiar with, but its definition seemed to fit what I was trying to say.

So my questions are:

Could stoicism be considered a 'cultural value'?

Could indifference to emotion and putting on a facade to hide your true emotions both be considered stoic?

Edit: Does this make more sense, "To what extent is suppression of emotion in 'Chekhov's Short Stories' a representation of Russian cultural values?"

Thank you in advance

Edited by khimberleigh

What you have here is a disassociation of concepts that don't mélange despite your best attempts. Your understanding of stoicism is spot on and your application of cultural values is correct as well, it's just that stoicism isn't a cultural value in and of itself.

I would call being stoic a cultural stereotype like Brits having a "stiff upper lip."

Do you see the distinction?

Edited by Arrowhead