English A2 P1 (comparative commentary) (MAY08)

Guest julz_90

Guest julz_90

Any English A2 people here? what do you think about paper 1?

I found it was quite OK. didn't understand everything about section 1, so I took 2 a and b. they were so different (text type, tone, aim) that there was certainly enough to say ;)

Guest julz_90

dunno whether you mean the questions in paper 1 or paper 2, so I post both :)

paper 1: comparative commentary

you had to choose between 2 sections, each consisting of two texts to compare:

section A: 2 extracts from 2 novels, they were somehow about garbage. don't remember the titles, but one was by don delillo.

section B: an informative internet page about antigua&barbuda (holiday location) and an extract from an essay on a tourist experience on antigua. again, I don't remember the author.

paper 2: written essay

there were 10 questions. 7 were based on the cultural options and I didn't even look at them :D

the remaining three were for the literary option: (the titles are not word by word but I really don't remember...)

1. discuss the importance of a leader in two or more works you have read

2. discuss the aspect of humor in two or more works you have read

3. 'you can never go home again' - discuss the statement relating to two or more works you have read

I took nr. 3, (in 'jane eyre' and 'the wasp factory') but honestly none of the topics really suited the books I had studied, so I was a bit disappointed :)

can you tell me what were the questions? :)

I have the texts if you're interested, PM me and I can send them.

I didn't do it as a final exam, but rather as an end-of-year exam. I chose part 2, with the one about Antigua & Barbuda, but I found both sections to be pretty easy. The main problem with section 2 (antigua) was that the texts weren't very balanced since the other one was an essay. Means I could've gone on about it for years but I had to refrain :) . Oh, and the author of the A&B essay was Jamaica Kincaid.

on a side note, it's M08 HL you mean, julz, not SL. Garbage was a HL text :) .

thank you but I don't need texts! I will have different because I am doing my A from serbian :) Exam is next weeeeekk... I just wanted to know what were the topics because it is often similar to our questions :)

julz, thank you :)

:*

Edited by Lil